Help! My land is flooded.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by IBD, Dec 19, 2004.

1. IBD

IBD Member

I need to know how to legally have a dam removed. Water is backed on my property. The structure was built on my neighbor's property with (PL-566) funds by the Soil Conservation Service (now the NRCS) and is being operated by the local Soil and Water Conservation District. The need for the structure and the authority of the district is in question and the district is not being helpful.

I need to know any information about the removal or alteration of such a structure to provide me with guidance in how to handle this situation. The water and swamping is ruining my land. Any help will be appreciated.

2. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

How about a lawsuit for the loss of income from the land in question and the diminished market value plus any other losses it has caused?

-Jack

3. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Probably not the answer you need nor a good idea, but. A fellow I used to work with was faced with about the same problem. A fairly small size body of water an absentee and unresponsive/uninterested land owner. After offering to help financially, and several methods to get some relief, and being rejected he just smiled and told the other party "he guessed he would just have to live with it". And so he did, until the next spring , he waited until it was full and more rain predicted. He waited till dark walked through the field and dug a small trench in the dam, enough to get the water running, and then went home. The water runnning through the trench in the dam and a lot of rain that night solved the problem, cut a huge gash in the dam that pretty much drained the water out. It was never repaired.

4. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

How long ago was the dam built?

5. ed/IL

ed/IL Well-Known Member

This thread is a duplicate. There is more info on the other one with the same title. Might be on page 2