HELP my kittys have fleas

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by Txcopperhead, May 29, 2006.

1. Txcopperhead

Txcopperhead Future Homesteader

Were looking for a homemade flea dip. SUmmer in Texas is hell on wheels with ticks and fleas our kittys are only about 2 months old.

2. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

You can bathe them in lemon Joy. Yes, it has to be lemon Joy. They use real lemon and it will kill the fleas. You can also use the herb fleabane around your home. DE is very good for dusting them and also using around the home.

3. TwoAcresAndAGoat

TwoAcresAndAGoat Well-Known Member

Actually and soap will kill adult fleas. You just need to leave it on the aninal for 5 minutes and they will all drowned. I use Ivory dish soap myself.

4. Willowynd

Willowynd Well-Known Member

Fleas on cats are horrible to try to control. When we got them a couple years ago, the dogs were flea free in a matter of days- the cats took 4 months! I couldn;t get a handle on it until I did everything I am listing here. Treat your home and yard. Only a small amount of fleas that are there are actually on the kittens. They have house sprays that contain Nylar (inhibits flea eggs from hatching) that last for 6 months. Spray everything- floors, baseboards, furniture, underside of furniture, curtains, etc. Vaccuum daily and throw out the bag in a sealed bag each time or burn it. They have flea traps or you can make your own with a small wattage light bulb suspended over a dish of water with a few drops of detergent in them. Turn the lights on each night before bed. You will be surprised at how many you find in the dish each morning. Outside use DE or Sevin dust- you will need to reapply sevin after rain. Put it in the shady spots- like under decks and porches, where the kittens play, etc. Flea comb the kittens several times a day and dip the comb into water with a few drops of dish detergent in it after each stroke- it will drown the fleas. Good luck!

5. Caitedid

Caitedid The Prairie Plate Supporter

do be careful with anything ocntaining pyrethrin, as it can be quite toxic to cats. Wouldn't do to get rid of the fleas by killing the kitties :shrug: Love all the great stuff I'm learning in animal science

6. Old Dog

Old Dog Active Member

In a Gal of water put the peels of a lemon, agrapefruit, and an orange, boil for 20 min. Strain, let cool, mix with 1 cup dishwashing liquid and 1/2 gal water you have boiled with a pouch of chewing tobbaco for 20 min. and cooled and cooled. Put in garden sprayer finish filling with water and spray yard where animals lay and play . Fleas and ticks dont stay around this mixture. It will disolve the shells of fleas to the point they explode. Also PINE POWER kills fleas and ants but be careful with it too strong for kittys and young pups :hobbyhors

7. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

Save yorself time, frustration and effort and just buy one packet of frontline. put one drop on the back of each ones head (behind ears). One packet will do the whole litter and the momma cat. Baths are great but only work on adult fleas. In a few days the larva will hatch and the fleas will be back. The frontline works and will save you and the kitties alot of stress. I start my kittens (Bengals) at six weeks. They do great and have not had one flea. Re-apply bi-monthly if they are inside and monthly for outdoor critters.