help, my hands are raw

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Christina R., Dec 24, 2004.

1. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Between milking (using a soap, bleach, and water mixture), sanitizing, (more bleach and water), cold air (who ordered this arctic blast?), and cheesemaking (let's rub some salt into those raw hands)....the skin on my hands wants to up and run away. I coat with bag balm, have tried most creams on the market, and they just aren't working. What do you use?

The bleach amounts are minimal (teat wash and sanitizing recipes from fiasofarm.com), and will eventually try chlorohexadine (sp) to see if that is less harsh (thanks to a suggestion by the great lady who bought Corabelle's calf), but meanwhile I still need to get the pain and rawness under control.

As usual, thanks for all the knowledge and experience everyone on this board so willingly shares. Merry Christmas!!!

2. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

My hands are old, rough, and cracked to pieces anyway, but my big problem at -20 to -30 and lower is that after about 5 minutes my fingers won't work anymore; I can't even feel the cow's udder!!

3. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

My biggest problem is all the iodine in our and the school's wash formulas. Take that, scratch your hands up on the cow's udders and flanks...do this a couple times a day and it means nice chapped, red, cracked and bleeding hands.
    I have some Udder Balm (in a Holstein colored container, couldn't locate it off hand) that I use, but I think I might be allergic to something in it because my hands turns splotchy. However, it does wonders for my hands.
    Mostly though i use prevention....i.e. gloves. Rubber gloves for milk things (water is too hot for my hands anyways), disposable latex gloves for washing and milking and even a sleeve that fits over my clothes to cut down on the raw arms.

4. Christina R.

Christina R. Well-Known Member

Okay, I think I'm catching on. It's just another one of those joys of owning cattle (along with always smelling, avoiding being mistaken for another cow when the critter is in heat, waking up early, enjoying cold, cold weather when others are in their toasty homes, and all the other things I don't have time to mention). Good thing I'm smitten with my gal and this hobby!

5. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Stooping near the amperstand of the "Foster Mother of the Human Race" is one of the few activities in which we modern folk may indulge to connect us to those of countless generations of millenia past. The joys, the pain, the frustration, and the genuine fatigue all link our DNA to those hardy souls who sat on the same stool, enduring the same discomforts, and feeling the same love for a creature who asks so little and gives so much.

6. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

7. cashcrop

cashcrop Well-Known Member

Years ago when I worked on a dairy farm, wore latex gloves and still got cracked skin my mother gave me the family remedy they used on the farm she grew up on 80yrs ago.

1 jar lanolin
    1/2cup vegetable oil
    1 stick cocoa butter

melt and mix together.I melted the cocoa butter & lanolin in the lanolin jar in the microwave(but don't tell my Mom) then quickly added the vegetable oil. I microwaved in 45 second spurts for fear of it running over onto the microwave plate. I also stirred it in between spurts. Cover hands with it and put latex gloves on afterwords so it has a better chance of soaking in!

I was told by my bosses CNA girlfriend that a lot of CNA's go to bed with some sort of hand cream or lotion on their hands covered with latex gloves. Within 3 -4 days I didn't notice my cracked dry hands but, I sure had a heck of a time getting used to wearing latex gloves to bed!!

8. kath2003

kath2003 Well-Known Member

Where would one find sticks of cocoa butter and jars of lanolin?This sounds great!! Finally,maybe a cure :) :worship:

9. RdoubleD

RdoubleD Active Member

Bleach can be harsh on hands you may have developed an allergy to it too.

Chlorohexadine may be a better choice. I perfer to use it over bleach because it seems not to bother my hands as much.

I use mentholatum or neosporin on my hands and put a laytex glove on. It works great!

10. genebo

genebo Well-Known Member Supporter

Christina,

All the creams and ointments are to relieve the symptoms. They don't cure anything.

Sometimes you get a fungal infection that makes the hands all red and rough. It's similar to athlete's foot. Using a good athlete's foot remedy or chlortrimazole on your hands for about seven days can cure this.

Wash your hands and pat them dry (not too dry). Apply the athlete's foot cream or spray. Then coat your hands with vaseline (regular vaseline, not a lotion). This holds the moisture and the medication in and works really well.

Genebo
    Paradise Farm

11. jucal

jucal Well-Known Member

I came on to a hand and body bar recipe that I don't remember where I got it but it works for me. I also sell it along with my goat milk soap and goat milk lotion. It is so easy to make. It is equal parts of bees wax and olive oil. Heat them together until the bees wax melts and then pour into a mold. You can also add a fragrance which I do when they are in the liquid form. It gets hard but it melts at your body temp. I rub it on my hands before I go to bed and my hands are so much better the next morning. I don't use it during the day because my hands are in the water so much doing the same things that you all do. Milking cows and goats. Making cheese and all that good stuff. I sell lots of it along with my goat milk lotion which is great also for during the day. It is very concentrated. Just a little will do the trick for feel better hands during the day. Hope this helps. Let me know if you try it and if it works for you.
    Judy

12. Kellkell

Kellkell Well-Known Member

Christina,

First off, use gloves. Latex or vinyl. Some people can develop an allergy to latex, so I recommend the vinyl. Use these for the cows, cheesemaking and dishes. When out in the cold, some nice warm gloves are nice.

Second, if your hands are not visibly dirty, I suggest that you use an alcohol gel hand cleanser. They kill the germs without killing your hands like soap and water. You also don't really need antibacterial soap to wash unless you are in contact with a lot of really germy stuff.

Last, I swear by Neutragena hand lotion, the swiss formula. It is so thick that a little goes a long way. Until I started using the gels more, I used it all the time with great effect.

13. FlipFlopFarmer

FlipFlopFarmer Well-Known Member

I'm in the same boat! My hands are so raw and cracked!!! I've tried vitamin E oil and vaseline and all the creams and lotions I can find. I'm thinking about getting a paraffin wax thing to dip my hands in once a week or so.

14. bonnie lass

bonnie lass Semper Fi

Bee's wax, lanolin, cocoa butter, these are all just emollients, they make your hands feel better temporarily. The only thing that will improve the condition of your hands is a product that contains urea. Urea will alter the hydrogen bond of your skin and force it to accept moisture. There are many products on the market that contain urea, look for one that contains about 10 to 15%. Bayer makes a product called Dermal Therapy, if you can find it. Urea is the chief nitrogenous waste of mammals (urine), and was the first organic compound to be artificially prouced by man.

15. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

I've always used Corona ointment for chapped hands (& chapped heels). It's avail. at feed stores & supplies; it's really for dry hooves, udders, minor injuries on pets - 50% lanolin, some beeswax, & a few other things. Will even grow fur back on a dog's elbow callous!

16. fourwinds

fourwinds Member

17. Ken in Minn

Ken in Minn Well-Known Member

Hi All
    If people would just quit using the commercial soaps, they all have salt in them, and use just home made soaps and vegggie lotions, they would not have sore hands. Send me a private message and I will send you a sample of what I use.
    Think of it as a late Christmas gift.
    Ken in Minn

18. cashcrop

I'm glad that these lotions and everything do all the rest of you good but, I've never found a lotion or soap that did any wonders for my hands. I have hereditary dry hands. My Grandmother used to put lotion on her hands 5 - 6 times a day and it didn't seem to help.

I loaned my jar of that concoction to a bartender who was having problems with cracked hands. She said she had tried every kind of lotion out there. She said it was WONDERFUL(she also never gave me my jar back!!). A little bit goes a long way! You should be able to get cocoa butter and lanolin in a pharmacy(just call first in case...especially if it's a long drive back & forth to it!). When I had gone into the pharmacy to buy those things the pharmacist & his assistant asked me what I was doing with it. I explained and they asked me for the recipe as well as commented "A lot of times those old time remedies work better than a lot of new products."

19. cashcrop

I called 3 pharmacies today. Two had cocoa butter sticks($1.69). One had 4oz. tubes many dairy farmers come in to buy and can get 1lb jars for $25.99. He did make the comment that it would make the concoction 90% lanolin. What is the difference between using 100% lanolin and 90% lanolin? They both work for me if you understand what I mean. Kinda like one neice Pronounces Aunt to me "awn't" another pronounces it "ant".

20. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

My Doctor gave me some stuff I've been putting on my Legs and Hands.Seems to be doing good.

Triamcinolone Acetonide Ointment

big rockpile