HELP My Dog Just Ate a Spoon!!!!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by rio002, Nov 14, 2006.

1. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

OK here I was feeding our old (14) elkhound mix some canned food, and he long story short he got the spoon right out of my hand and ate it!!!! Spoon was stainless steel cereal/teaspoon type--Any ideas???? I reached in his big mouth as far as I could but couldn't get it..........btw way he seems fine and wants more food lol :nono:

2. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

I'd take him to the vet right away, something that big could easily rupture his stomach or intestines.

Call the emergency vet - do you have one in your area?

3. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

itss in his stomach, get to the vet before it gets past that point. his stomach muscles can handle a spoon, his intestines cannot!

go go go go go!

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I've gotta echo the others. Off to the vet, NOW!

5. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

called the vet, she said we can try feeding him marshmallows or lots of bread and then 1/4 cup of peroxide to get him to throw it up. We're trying this tonight because of his age and already declining health, surgery isn't an option due to cost and the surgery itself might do him in anyway..........I guess when he shows discomfort I'll have to have him put down.:( all because of a stupid spoon, what a crappy week this has been, flood, fire and now this, poor old guy. Thanks all

6. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I hope you are at the vets office right now. That would scare me to death!

7. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

8. bubbba

bubbba Well-Known Member

Yea I say to the vet tonight to before it goes any further, and sumthing like that i dont think hed be able to puke it back up? Also at his age you dont want to take any chances. We lost a dog to swallowin a nipple from a baby bottle she was a old dog and it just got stuck in her intestine, she wasnt a small dog either. We tried surgery but that didnt work so good and i remember the poor dog in our kitchen with a IV in her. She didnt get better and we had to get her put down. Best of luck and please listen to us all and head of as fast as u can.
    Good luck to you and the dog, animals are such good freinds.

Peace

9. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

they can dope him up and go down his throat and get it.

id take the risk of the anestisia killing him to get it, the alternitive is kinda painful.

making him puke might poke it thru his esophogus...

getting it out shouldnt cost more than a few 100 bucks.

10. bubbba

bubbba Well-Known Member

Ok do what the vet said. My dog once ate a fairly large ball that he first deflated and then swallowed, and I called the vet and he recomended the hydrogen peroxide and altho it was tough gettin it into the dog he sure puked it up . So best of luck. I hear ya life can sure be tough sometimes and like you said all this over a @$%$# spoon. :(

11. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

OMG OMG OMG it worked !!!!!!!2nd dosing of the peroxide --15min. later he started to heave really big so I got behind him and did the heimlich and out popped the spoon!!!!!! Ahaha a little victory for the old dog! Thanks all for such quick responses --I still can't believe it worked--Well noted though no more feeding with a spoon. Thanks Again woohoo!!!!! :)

12. ellebeaux

I'm sorry you're having such a rotten time of it. It sounds like an unbelievably bad string of events. I'll say a prayer for the quick recovery of your dog.

B.

EDITED TO ADD - WHOOOHOOO!!!! I did not want to hear about your dog dying! I was starting to tear up myself. Give that dog some extra marshmallows!!!

B.

13. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

That must have been a helluva good prayer you said ellbeaux--he sure recovered fast !!! Thanks! I'm just all giddy and goose bumpy right now :):)

14. rio002

rio002 Well-Known Member

btw for for future reference after he ate the spoon he refused to eat anything else so I did just skip straight to the peroxide. Boy he's getting a big breakfast in the morning!

15. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Glad to hear he's okay!

16. ellebeaux

Me too! I had to put my dog to sleep last March and when I read that you might have to make that decision, I got teary-eyed. I wish dogs lived longer, she was such a perfect loving being.

But here's hoping and praying that things are all UP from now on!!!

B.

17. bubbba

bubbba Well-Known Member

Right on . I just got up for a second and decided to check this thread to see how the old spoon eatin bugger was doing. :) Right on old pooch.
    That hydrogen peroxide is good stuff .

Peace

:) < me so happy for u and the old dog

18. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    So glad to hear everything came out alright.!!! Whew!

Ever think, "What next?" Things have got to start on the upswing at your house pretty darn soon. You seem to be keeping your spirits up--that is the main thing!

19. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

Okay, that's it... I pick up a bottle of HP today!

Glad to hear he's ok. Poor guy, imagine what he was thinking as the spoon went down (and then came back up again)!

20. shiloh

shiloh Active Member

Same here. I had no idea peroxide could be used like that.
    I am glad you dog got rid of the spoon. Becuase of your fast actions, he should be ok. I hope things start to look up for you from now on.