Help, my cow is drying up!

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by Homestead Mom, May 24, 2005.

1. Homestead Mom

Homestead Mom Member

We have a Jersey/holstein cow, about 6 years old. She freshened about 2 1/2 months ago. We bought her and the calf right after she freshened. She was very thin, because she hadn't been grained at all. She is on green grass and some grain at milking time. She has been putting on weight and looking better. Calf has been doing great on bottle. Anyway, about a week ago, her milk production started decreasing. She had been giving 4 -5 gallons a day. A couple days ago she was off feed and had diarrhea for a day, but is better now. Tonight her milk didn't even cover the bottom of the milk pail. She doesn't seem sick. We have been milking one year and she is our second cow (we're still milking the first one, too). Also, we don't think she has come into heat yet. Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated. We don't have a decent vet around here, so we're kind of on our own. Thank you.

2. myersfarm

myersfarm Dariy Calf Raiser

so she was giving 4 to 5 gallons a day then in one day she when to nothing...or did it just graually go to nothing........sure if in a field another calf not getting it......how much grain and what kind are you feeding...i have milk cows.....is her bag hot to touch or hard?

3. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Could be the onset of milkfever. I would get some CMPK injectable from the vet and give her a total of 50cc in 2 different locations, like on either side of the abdoman just behind the last rib. (25ccs each), sub q (under the skin) once a day for 5 days. It is best to make sure the CMPK injectable is body temperature or at least not cold. Make sure she is getting plenty of water to drink and is not dehydrating. If you have some propolyne glycol you can give her about 60 ccs of that every day too orally, by mouth. You can give her a tube of CMPK gel instead of the injectable if you want. You have to have a gun for the large tube, one of our old TBZ guns worked on mine. Looks like a caulking gun sort of. Give her the whole tube the first day, then half a tube for the next 4 days. Make sure she is getting nice alfalfa hay (calcium) or some alfalfa pellets. How much grain is she getting as she is being milked? She needs enough to feed her and keep her body condition (or build body condition in this case) and enough to make milk. She was very thin, started putting all her own body's calcium into making milk and now if her body is depleted of its calcium supply she can't make milk. It will eventually kill her if her calcium supply isn't brought back up. Do not milk her out the day you give her the first dose, then only milk half for the duration of treatment, then go back to milking her out completely IF her production is climbing. Keep an eye on her and make sure that if she starts to go off feed again, don't deplete all of her calcium and you may have to give some more CMPK until she gets back on her feet. Has she been wormed recently. If not I would do that also. Do you have a mineral lick out for her?

4. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

Has she been tested for Johne's? I don't mean to scare you, but she has many of the symptoms. It can be diagnosed via a fecal or milk sample. This will need to be done through a vet, but you can probably just take in a sample and they will send it out for analysis. If she is positive, the calf is likely to be infected if it has been drinking her milk. The bacteria that causes Johne's also has been found in the guts of people who have Crohn's disease, and it is not reliably eliminated by pasteurization.

Again, I don't mean to scare you, but I lost a cow to Johne's last year. If this is what's wrong with her, you could waste a lot of time and money treating her for other things to no avail.

Good luck and I really hope I'm wrong on this one!

5. evermoor

evermoor Well-Known Member

DEfinately have a Johnes test done. It really is worth it in the long run. If positive or high get rid of her ASAP. She could also have a DA ( displaced abomasum). If you have a stethascope listen to her stomach, in the "hollow area" below the short ribs. You should hear a gurgling every thirty seconds or so. Compare it to the healthy cow. If it is reallly quiet or really fast something is wrong. If it is gurgling fast, and has the runs Give her carmelax or kaopectate (SP?). IF it is quiet flick her sides between the ribs with your finger. If you hear a sound that is similiar to a glass filled ballon or metallic twing it could be a DA. It is when the abomassum floats up and twists off the stomach. Generally you need to do a surgery. You can try drenching her with brown sugar,for energy, yougurt for the good bugs, or get a keto gel and probios tube at the farm store. This is just an idea