Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We suspect Trub has meningeal worm.

I have found conflicting recommendations for medication. One consistent treatment that comes up is Ivermec Plus. TN Meat Goats says 1 cc per 25 pounds, once a day for a week. THat seems crazy high.

Then they say follow up with Panacur @ double the cattle dose.

Dex and Banamine, also.

Does anyone have a specific protocol that has worked for them?

THanks.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I was just reading something that said super high doses of safeguard for a long time was found to cross into the spinal cord where it's needed, better than ivermectin - ivermectin only working before they reach the spinal cord or something.

ETA: found it: http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/meningealworm.html

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ran to town and got the injectable Ivermectin Plus, as well as a fresh bottle of PenG.

I'm trying to find information on prophylactic treatment for the rest of the herd, as well as what/if to do something for the sheep as well. They all graze the same areas.

Trub is very wary of us right now, I suppose because she's been stabbed a few times. The only thing that keeps us in her good graces is apple. :)

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was just reading something that said super high doses of safeguard for a long time was found to cross into the spinal cord where it's needed, better than ivermectin - ivermectin only working before they reach the spinal cord or something.

ETA: found it: http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/meningealworm.html
Dang. I was reading the old posts here about ivermectin. $50 shot to heck.

I wonder if the hardware store has panacur/safeguard. Dang. And by Dang, I mean a stronger word.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I, too, remember reading about the Iver having fallen out of favor due to not crossing the spinal cord ... may have actually been here (!!)

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Some of the gals on the MOzarks FB group say they've successfully used the Iver+,. but I'm not taking a chance with Trub.

Do you folks think I should use the panacur tomorrow? I hit her with the Ivermec+ today.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going to start dosing with the panacur tomorrow.

Plan to treat the rest of the herd preventively with the Iver.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
I did the ivomec as mentioned then followed with 5 days of pancur/safeguard at ten times normal dose. 23 CC per 100 lbs.

Dex for those not pregnant and banamine for those who are/may be.

I had 10 with it and it was affecting their walking. I didn't know that the rubbing on their necks (two of them) was mw.

Everyone has recovered!!!:banana:

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Pony, you may want to bite it and treat everyone with the pancur.

I have a total of 18 goats on my property and 10 had mw! It's highly unusual to have so many infected, but it's bad this year.

Good luck!

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, trying to figure out what I'm doing, so SJS, you're my go-to person.

Ten times the dose means I give a whole 25 g tube?

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SJS, just shot you a PM, but hoping you're still reading this and don't just have this open as an extra tab. ;)

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just ordered more safe-guard from Valley Vet. Got priority ship, so cross fingers it gets here in time for her dose after I run out of what I have here.

·
Premium Member
10,411 Posts
I just sent SJS a PM too and still hoping she is reading this thread.

I had one doe die from this terrible worm and I'm going to treat my herd buck and large doe because I suspect they may have them.

It is my understanding the Ivermectin and the Safeguard/Panacure are to be given simultaneously with the Safeguard simply being given longer than the Ivermectin. Is this correct?

Also, I prefer to use "injectible" but since this would be a great many needles, would it be ok if I alternated, i.e. orally one day (both Ivermectin 1% as well as Safeguard), then injecting SQ the next day. (Of course the Ivermectin would be given at 10 x dosage and run daily for a total of 3 days whereas the Safeguard would be given at 10 x dosage and run daily for a total of 5-7 days.)

This is a terrible amount of money!!! However, I've never had these meningeal worms before and I'ld like to save my goats if possible.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It is my understanding the Ivermectin and the Safeguard/Panacure are to be given simultaneously with the Safeguard simply being given longer than the Ivermectin. Is this correct?
I have not seen anything about giving the meds simultaneously, but just checked the other thread.

I'll give it a go. Totally blowing my budget, but I don't want to lose my girl.

Good luck! Let us know how your goats are doing.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Panacur is oral, BTW. The stuff I found is apple flavored, and Trub loves it.

She does not, however, love the injections of Ivermec.

·
Premium Member
10,411 Posts
Pony are you using Ivermectin Plus or just Ivermectin 1%?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts