help me worry for my doe!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by trixiwick, Mar 21, 2005.

1. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

Long story short, here's what happened:

1) Our pygmy doe Weezie delivered two healthy kids.
    2) She struggled trying to deliver a third kid, whose head wound up being too large.
    3) Vet came by, determined that Weezie wasn't going to deliver the kid on her own, and sent me to the animal hospital for a Caesarian.
    4) Turns out poor Weezie had torn her uterus a little trying to deliver the third kid.
    5) One of the two healthy kids then began to crash, since he didn't get enough colostrum in all this other excitement and picked up some infection.

So, to sum up, all three are in the hospital now (the retained kid didn't make it). Weezie pulled through the surgery pretty well and things are looking reasonably good for her. The weak kid wasn't given much chance for awhile there, but is actually gaining some strength now and might just make it. The second kid is fine and dandy. Both are with Weezie and nursing.

I don't really know why I'm posting this, except to ask concerned goat folks to pitch in with some worrying, since it's a lot of worrying for one person to do! Maybe it'll all work out and I'll get Weezie back home with two bouncing baby boys - but it'll be a little while before that happens. Cross your fingers and toes!

2. Tater'sPa

Tater'sPa Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed here! and hoping all turns out well!

3. rainedaze

rainedaze Well-Known Member

I hope that all works out good for you. I have kidding season coming up and have a lot of these worries as this is my first year doing this. Good luck!! I hope they come home to you soon.

Heather (rainedaze)

4. LuckyGRanch

LuckyGRanch Well-Known Member

Just kinda wondering why he didn't do a CS in the "field" rather than losing the valuable time moving her...

Hope he/she knows his goat stuff...

Fingers crossed for ya!

5. trixiwick

trixiwick bunny slave

LuckyGRanch, I think the feeling was that with the torn uterus, infection was the biggest concern - therefore, it would be better to get Weezie to the hospital where the operation could be done in a more sterile setting. The hospital is only about 10 minutes from us, so we didn't lose much time. I do trust our vet, who is one of the top people in her field around here. Anyway, prognosis is pretty good, so I'm hopeful.

Thanks for the kind thoughts, everyone. I can't wait until she's home again, hopefully with both kids alive and well. Our other doe, who is now alone for the first time in her entire life, is probably more anxious for this than I am!