help me with ligaments!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by burfer, Mar 24, 2005.

1. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

I have been to the fiasco farm site which talks about feeling the ligaments to get a good idea of kidding times. I must be really slow, I can't feel anything!! Ahhh, what is wrong with me! Would someone please give me an idea of where the darn ligaments are??? Please excuse my slowness! :confused:

2. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

It always helps me to feel for them on a non-pregnant doe. They will be very tight on that doe. They are right above the tail, and start from the spine, and come down at an angle.

3. sheep tamer

sheep tamer former HT member

Just adding another 2 or 3 cents here...The softened ligaments have been a good indicator of delivery in the next 24 hours for us. But, the area along the spine at the tail suddenly looks hollow, too. The ligaments are maybe 2" out from either side of the spine. When labor is about to begin, they feel like relaxed rubber bands instead of rigid cable. So, even if you can't find those buggers, watch for the hollow-look. I can grasp the spine there with my hand and feel fingers all the way around it when this happens. Hope all goes well with your goaties!

4. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

When I first tried, I thought I must be doing something wrong, just couldn't feel anything at all! My doe wasn't cooperating & it was frustrating.

Make a V with your index & middle finger & place that on her spine about 3 inches from her tail, then run your fingers down toward her tail. They really do feel like pencils, or cords under there. What worked for me, was feeling her pin bones, then following those up along the cords. I finally had it!! Now Rosie is used to me feeling them, oh about 5 times a day!

hope this helps!!

Tricia

5. Starsmom

Starsmom Well-Known Member

On my doe the ligaments are still hard, but she developed that hollow look yesterday. How close to you figure we are?

6. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

about a week or less. I would say. keep us posted, starsmom.

7. burfer

burfer Well-Known Member

Yippee! I found them! They seem a little tight, so I guess I have a week or two to go. These will be my first kids, so excited!
    :D