help me with cookstove shopping

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by R., Mar 17, 2004.

1. R.

R. Well-Known Member

I am contemplating buying a cookstove. I have never bought a cookstove before so am not familiar with prices, styles etc.
    I want propane gas. I would consider wood, but I don't think I have enough room in my kitchen for a woodstove, considering that they need free space around them.
    The stove has to fit in the space where now sits a regular sized (30"?) electric stove. I think they call it a slide in.
    I want a stove with NO electronics.
    I want a stove I can use in case of electric power failure.
    I am not looking for anything fancy. Just simple, basic, functional and preferably white.
    I have been looking at prices of reproduction old fashioned stoves which run $2000 to $4000. I think that is out of my price range.
    I was looking at gas stoves from Sears and even those are over $1000.
    Is this a reasonable price? Are stoves running about $1000?
    I thought stoves (simple ones at least) ranged around $300 to $500.
    Am I looking in the wrong places?
    Give me some clues and/or advice, please.
    Thank you.

2. syringaweb

syringaweb Well-Known Member

How about a used stove? Look in your local trading posts and classifieds.

Or, scratch and dent stores (Sears, etc.)

I think big home improvement stores have basic, no frill propane stoves for around 350 dollars (at least in my neck of the woods).

3. boren

boren Well-Known Member

Not sure where you are looking, or what you're looking at but we bought our free standing gas stove for under $500 last year and it was a "fancy" model. There were really basic gas stoves for much less, $300 range, and this was at Sears.

4. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Just check the stove carefully - most all new gas stoves use electronic ignition and most will not allow the burners to be lit manually with a match - all kinds of safty shut offs. You might want to try a mobile home dealership. All older mobile homes used Tappan gas stoves and you can light them with a match.

5. Qvrfullmidwife

Qvrfullmidwife Well-Known Member

When I went in to Sears a few months ago, the gas stoves started at $350.

You might try used, or looking for old, refurbished/classical stuff.

We have a classical appliance store near us...we are thinking of having an old 1950's gas GE refurbished and using that.

http://www.macysclassicstoveworks.com/

6. 12vman

12vman Offgridkindaguy

Greetings R... If you find a gas stove you like and it isn't propane, no problem. A natural gas stove can be converted to L.P. pretty easy. If you are looking for something new, check this site... http://lehmans.com/ They have all kinds of stuff there.. :D

7. R.

R. Well-Known Member

I thought a natural gas stove could be converted to lp. Doesn't it just require a turning of a screw to adjust the gas opening?

Yes, I thought it might be that the modern gas stoves has safety devices that won't let you light them with a match or just with a striker. That is why I am looking at possibly used.

8. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

..........The only difference between propane and Natural gas stoves is the size of the orafice hole(s) as far as I know......Also, find a supplier of propane as they will usually have a good selection of Stoves at decent prices and may even finance them for you, assuming of course that you continue to buy your gas from Them........fordy... :eek: :)

9. Wanda

Wanda Well-Known Member

I have a Hotpoint from Menards that will light with a match when the power is off. I just unpluged it and checked :D It was less than $4oo and came with a reversable orfice for lp or natural gas use!!

10. R.

R. Well-Known Member

I'll have to check Menards. I never even thought about them. Is Hotpoint a good brand? I don't think I have ever heard of them.

11. Jay1

Jay1 Active Member

R. I, also, have been pondering about getting a new stove. Have a built in G.E. and double ovens, electric, that I’ve been using for last 25 yrs. Everything is still working ok and I can take my time on getting another. Have to be able to put 22 qt. canners on the stove. Now that spring is almost here, there will be plenty of moving sales etc. Intend to keep my eyes open for just what I want. Not decided if gas or another electric or possibly a duel fuel. There is a site that you can look up ranges or anything else and read about the reviews from people that have purchased them. Can look at fuel type, element type, size oven, brand name and price range. I have found this helpful in my purchases by researching first. Good luck with whatever you decide to get!

http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Large_Appliances-All-Ranges-price_bucket_1

12. Ann-NWIowa

Ann-NWIowa Well-Known Member Supporter

Good luck finding a stove with an oven that works without electricity. Sears doesn't have them. Appliance dealers don't have them. Unless the stove is manufactured for the Amish it probably requires electricity for the oven to work. You can light the top if the elec is off but not the oven. I know because I've been looking for several years. Lehman's probably does have them, but their prices plus shipping really up the price.

13. R.

R. Well-Known Member

I never even thought about whether the oven would light without electricty.
    That is something to ask.

And thanks for the epinions website.

14. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

See my recent thread on refrigerators to understand why I would vote against Sears.

Check out your local hardware store for s simple gas stove. I can find one new without anything special (closed burners for easy cleaning, etc.) for under $300.

I can light my electronic ignition gas oven and burners when the electric is out. I use the long handled lighters made for the grill. But frankly, if you have a dutch oven, you can use the stovetop burners for just about everything till the electric comes back on.

15. R.

R. Well-Known Member

Can you explain how you light the gas oven without electricity? I know how to light burners, but not an oven.

16. R.

R. Well-Known Member

Ann, such ovens DO exist. I talked with the local appliance dealer this morning. He doesn't have them in stock, but he can order them. He showed them to me in the catalog. They are a no bells or whistles model and called it a range with a standing pilot light.
    He said they are not very energy efficient, because the pilot light is continually burning fuel.
    They are made by GE and Hotpoint (same thing).

17. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

You have to be brave and find where the gas will enter your oven burner tube (I don't know what it is technically called). I turn the flame lighter onto as long as it can be. Turn the stove to warm or the lowest setting and quickly use the flame. It takes several times sometimes when I am doing this on my own. Luckily,I don't lose electricity often.

But truly, if you just use the burners, you can cook a lot. Beats electric any day when the power is out!

18. Helena

Helena Well-Known Member

Saw a plain gas stove at Sears last week for $249..no sale either. I have an old 1920's gas/propane stove that I use daily...light with a match etc. It was converted into propane with no problem. I often think I should up grade and get a modern stove...but this old one works fine...and it's wonderful to cook on. They sure knew how to make them back in the "old" days !! People with small children should be careful with "my" type of stove because of turning the gas on and not lighting the match at once. But...my children survived because we taught them "No" !! There are some like mine on www.antiquestoves.com if you are interested ! or check around in your local paper or junk shops. Good Luck !

19. R.

R. Well-Known Member

That antique stoves place is only 50 miles from me. Expensive, but I might like to look.