Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
106 pairs and counting
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dh is heading to the vet tomorrow, we live about 40 mins away from the office. I have told him I want him to request the following for our goats *just in case*--we have one saanen doe due to kid in 4-6 weeks, and a wether.

1) Thiamine
2) CMPK (anything better out there? Is this necessary? Should I have oxytocin on hand too?)
3) Bactrim (for coccidia)
4) Bo Se

Is there anything else I need to have on hand from the vets office? Not talking about anything I can get at jeffers or online. I just dont want to miss my chance at asking for all the basics one could require by prescription.

Thanks for your help! :D
Alisa~

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
I always have these on hand. I rarely use them, but if I let myself run out, it is *always* a weekend that I find myself needing them.

Lactated Ringers(also get a disposable IV kit to give this with. It is given under the skin, not as an IV, but you do need an IV kit to use it). Very important to keep sick animals hydrated.

Nuflor(for pnuemonia).

Vitamin B(for appetite stimulation any time an animal is "off"). But you can get Vitamin B from most farm stores here.

Banamine(pain killer).

Make sure your CMPK is injectable, rather than the oral. Its also a good idea to have an IV kit available if you have to give large CMPK doses under the skin.

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
Buying directly from the vet can be real expensive. If you've worked with them for a while, ask if he'll write or call in the Rx's for you and order your meds from Jeffers or PBS. I saved a lot of money doing that - and getting ready to restock again as some have expired.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I agree. See if you can get and RX [I can call my vet and he'll just give me the okay] so you can order online.

I got a couple lactated ringers with the IV kit from Hoegger. I won't be without lactated ringers, PEN G, Fortified Vit B Complex, etc etc on hand. Just remember to buy the needles and syringes too... I seem to buy them all the time [if not to inject, then to drench with].

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
Depends on your vet. The only RX items I can get cheaper from Jeffers is Copasure. Everything else is cheaper at my vets and I like to give her my business. But, I understand from checking out other vets that she is a great exception to the rule!

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
Depends on your vet. The only RX items I can get cheaper from Jeffers is Copasure. Everything else is cheaper at my vets and I like to give her my business. But, I understand from checking out other vets that she is a great exception to the rule!
My vet is very reasonable in his prices for services but he charged me $80. for a bottle of Excenel, PBS has it for $65.
Another vet I occasionally use (due to convenient location) wanted to charge me $100. for a 50 ml bottle of Banamine. :eek:
I didn't realize Copasure was an Rx so I guess I'll be adding that to my list.

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
My vet will authorize prescriptions if I just tell him what I need (I used to work with him, so he know me pretty well - he just doesn't know goats - so he referred me to another vet that will tell me what I need, but won't authorize the prescription without seeing the goat) I have found enasco.com and pbsanimal health are both much less expensive on most products than any vet around me. They also have excellent customer service.

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
I didn't realize Copasure was an Rx so I guess I'll be adding that to my list.
It isn't. My brain was not awake yet when I typed that.:) Sorry about that. Most vets around here don't even carry Copasure. You can get it the cheapest from Jeffers without a prescription.

·
106 pairs and counting
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More help needed please!

I need to give the vet more info--how many mg per pill, mg/ml concentrations. Can yall help me one more time with this? He's going to write me an Rx for me to buy this online--whatever I need. I figure I need this based on what yall have said--now I just need bottle size, # ml per bottle, all that, so I can get this stuff home! This my first rx order so I appreciate your help getting my head straight!

1) banamine

2) nuflor

3) thiamine

4) bactrim (is this a pill? how many and what mg do I need? how many pills?)

5) bo-se

6) CMPK injectable

Thanks again! I am not going by the drug manual because you all seem to have this all figured out and I dont think I could trust the manual on goats anyway...right?

Best
Alisa~

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
PBS Animal Health

1) Banamine - 100 ml bottle - $25.15
(This is more than you should need, but they don't offer a 50 ml bottle that I can see.)

2) Nuflor - 100 ml bottle - $59.75

3) Thiamine - 200 mg per ml - 250 ml bottle - $9.99

4) Bactrim (is this a pill? how many and what mg do I need? how many pills?)
I couldn't find this in the catalog.

5) Bo-Se - 100 ml bottle - $17.85

6) CMPK injectable - 500 ml bottle - $7.65

7) Epinephrine - 30 ml bottle - $4.65

·
106 pairs and counting
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank You!!! :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts