Help me plan my homestead-hunting trip

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by amelia, May 14, 2005.

1. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

This next month I'll be taking a long drive through Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and maybe Oregon to check out possible homestead sites. Since I don't know any of these places, I thought perhaps some of you would have some suggestions about where to go. Here are my wishes:

Beautiful land
    Four seasons
    Lots of green, treed (prefer poplars, aspen, that kind of thing)
    Low humidity in the summer
    Rural, but not too far from services & community
    Driveable distance to a county seat
    ***Mountain views; foothills even better***
    5 acres would do it
    Nice people, open to newcomers
    Lack of jobs no big deal (I work for myself)

If you know of any possibilities, I'd sure be thankful to know. I'll be putting dots on a map as good ideas come, and then see about connecting them!

Thanks in advance,
    Amelia

2. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...............Missouli , Mt.....the elevation is relatively low (3,210 msl) here and there are alot of writers I've been told . They've also had problems with lots of smoke from wood burning stoves\fireplaces and have city ordances relating to this issue . Supposed to be a beautiful place to live but kinda pricey .
    ...............Cody , Wy. ...nice small town with a four year college . There are mountains any direction you want to go and yellowstone is only an hour west Plus , Billings to the north . Realestate is pricey but the natural beauty is a given in Wy .
    ................Red Lodge , Mt.....small resort mountain community close to the northeast corner of yellowstone. One of the prettiest and most scenic area(s) that I've had the pleasure of visiting . Land is still affordable afew miles away from town and Billings is only a alittle over an hour's drive in good weather for shopping and necessities .
    ...............Thermopolis , Wy. This is an undiscovered community that is small and affordable and located in the geographic center of Wy. Again , yellowstone is only a 2 hour drive to the west . The winters here are somewhat warmer due to the Topology of the landscape and has a semi arid and dry climate.
    ................Salida , Co....nice , small town with beautiful scenery and relatively mild winters . Mountains in all directions . Has plenty of shopping as W.Mt. has a store and 3 major car\truck dlrships and most consumer goods are available . Lots of tourist dollars stimulate their local economy . I spent 10 days there with a friend(in 1998) and we went 4 wheeling all over the mountains via all the old mining roads that are present all over western colorado . Gunnison , to the west , conversely has Very Cold winters but has a 4 year college and beautiful landscapes . Hope you enjoy your trip , fordy.. :)

3. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Check out AZ too. Land is cheap in southeast AZ. My neighbor runs SAS Realty in Safford, AZ. They know the area and can help you.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

......................Amelia , have you decided which towns you're going to visit on your trip?? fordy.. :)

5. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

Thanks, Fordy and Hank! I've been checking out these areas on the internet. Keep those ideas coming!

6. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Wait a couple of years for Red Lodge. With the Beartooth Highway washing out I think property in the area will drop in a year or 2. Red Lodge has also been filling up Californians the last few years. Towns like Bridger, Roberts, and Joliet are close and with searching can find fa few bargins.

7. kate

kate Well-Known Member

amelia, please share your reasons for wanting to leave wa state. thanks
    kate

8. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

We did what you are doing last year. We ended up with property west of Missoula Montana. We are living in Western Wyoming. It has less snow and a shorter winter than here. Montana has lots to offer but lots of the property is remote. There seems to be lots of nice property north and south of Couer d laine Idaho at good prices.

This website has alot of good places to start doing your research.
    http://www.northwest-national.com/ It gives you several sites to look at
    in the different states.

Let me know if you need more. Montana has a great website that will give you lots of info as well. http://www.state.mt.us/

Jill

9. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

i dont think the highway by Red Lodge washed out, I think there was a very big rock slide that crushed the road and a couple of small bridges? Any way, it is a beautiful area and if you check it out now you will get there before it is all taken up by californians! Personally I would not want to live among the tree huggers but that may not be an issue for you. Up by Anaconda Montana land prices are not bad, Anaconda is the county seat , town of about 10 thousand, has small hospital, friendly folks and lots of rural land near by!

10. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

Mudslides took out a large portion on the highway. Some slides wiped out 3 or 4 switchbacks. News said it would take 5 years and 100 million to fix. My brother still lives in Red LOdge and talked with him about it too. Some places the guard rail is haging out a 100' from nowhere.

11. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

12. amelia

amelia Well-Known Member

Washington state is not a bad place to live. I may yet find a place in it that's right for me. Currently I'm in the Seattle area, and unless you're into Kenneth Cole shoes and can speak knowledgeably about the latest Chihuly, the culture here isn't very welcoming. There was an enormous influx of Californians into Washington beginning about 20 years go, and the growth continued with the dot-com craze and the rise of Microsoft. Everything now very sophisticated, very expensive and very BLONDE. Taxes are sky-high, with sales taxes at nearly 9 percent, and business & occupation taxes on GROSS revenue are killing small business people. An average house in many run-of-the-mill areas is now $400,000. All of this has spread into the outlying rural areas, as people have been increasingly willing to undertake two and three-hour commutes into the city. Hence, the areas which were once rural now suburbs.

There are some very nice areas in Western Washington where it still feels rural--the Olympic Peninsula is one, but more and more of the farm land there is being converted to golf courses and retirement communities for the upscale folks. Eastern Washington is still largely rural--mostly desert and forest. It's on my list of areas to check out.

I'd be happy to answer any particular questions you have--sounds like you might be interested in moving in this direction.

13. kate

kate Well-Known Member

no, amelia, i already live here, just wondered if you found it the same as me. high, high, taxes are moving us out of clark county(vancouver) and while property is high, might as well sell. just hate to leave the kids...........for who knows where, so i will see what folks recommend for you. kate

14. oregonbuckaroo

oregonbuckaroo Member

eastern oregon is nice. maby around heppner,friend, starkey or mapin. there is alot of small towns with good mountain views