Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm looking for some good TV shows to watch as a family....

Seriously, I know it shouldn't be that complicated, but I swear it's like a loaded question. My family loves to spend time in winter having marathon TV show time. But, nowadays there is so much sex in everything that it's become a pain in the but to find good options. We also like old movies.

I'll list some of the types of stuff we enjoy, and if anyone has any ideas to add great. Maybe this could become a handy go-to-thread list that we can all come back to this winter.

PS I know that there's some stuff here that is pretty sci-fi/scary. 10 years ago, I would have never let my kids watch such scary shows. but, somehow my family became totally into them inadvertently. For a long while, they were one of the only things I could consistently find that wouldn't have sex scenes.

Here's my list.
Once Upon A Time
Grimm
Fallen Skies
Supernatural
BBC nature documentaries
Any BBC (living in the past type show, Coal House, 1940 house) other titles?
Marx Bros Movies
Ma and Pa Kettle Movies
Dr. Who
Ken Burns documentaries (baseball, civil war) other titles?
Warehouse 13
Malcolm in the Middle
King of the Hill

can't think of anymore right now....

·
Premium Member
40,996 Posts
awww yesss... fifty seven channels and there aint nothing on! (I think we have about 97 and its still hard to find anything good.

Andy and Barney, not sure what the name of the show is.. Mayberry something but its a dandy. American rider or something like that comes on the BYU channel. its cool and educational... biker dude goes cross country recounting the history of this great nation. He is pretty well informed and does his homework. Be careful of anything NPR puts out... their work is very sloppy, we catch numerous errors in nearly every one of their "educational" programs. "ME tv" runs a lot of the old classics... Alfred Hitchcock, Burns and Allen etc. Most of the new stuff on tv these days isnt fit to watch, just gotta look around and find the old stuff, or sift very carefully through and find the few new programs that fit your families needs.

We watch a lot of netflix movies, but then we are both well matured adults, no kids to worry about these days. :)

·
Canning Crazy
2,332 Posts
I am always partial to Little House on the Prairie. I also like Cedar Cove.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
We've never had any type of cable tv so everything I watch is on youtube or wimp.com because I don't care for watching shows I've already seen. DH watches all reruns of old westerns, tv sitcoms, etc on the tv. He also loves all the judge judy types of reality shows. yuk. I like the so-called reality shows that feature cooking, fashion, talent competitions, and archaeological digs.

On youtube there are options for settings that make it safe for child viewing. I'm currently viewing all the Project Runway videos. I'm up to Project Runway Season 8 Episode 9. I also have watched all the cooking video reruns such as Top Chef which is in the US, Australia, and Canada. Any US reality show is usually also in other countries such as the X Factor.

If you like watching house construction from start to finish then you'd probably like the Grand Design shows. It's a British tv program that's been on for at least 14 years so there's a lot of choices. There's an Australian version too.

Also insert in the youtube search box "Top Gear". It's a BBC production about all things super cars review and is a delightful funny show that's been in production since about 2002, so there's lots of episodes to choose.

Other key words to put into the youtube search box are Food Wishes, Master Chef Junior, Leverage, Simon's Cat, Maru, Pixar, Devin Graham, PianoGuys, Cake Boss, or Bill Dance bloopers.

Also do a youtube search for Meet The Amish. The teens in your family might like this.

Basically anything you like can be easily searched out on youtube. Look for episodes, seasons, playlists, to get past the short abbreviated versions that sometimes come up in the search. The Food Network videos on youtube are the short versions of what's kept on the Food Network site, so it's best to go directly to www.foodnetwork.com to access their full length videos.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Little house, Andy Griffith, waltons, ceder Cove, when calls the heart, mountain men, Alaska the last Frontier, Lucy, all in the family, Hogans heros and Gilliland Island are some of our favorites. Pretty much anything Hallmark and tv land and boom.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Leverage. They have a mini marathon here on Thursdays on the ION channel starting at 1:00 and another marathon on Sundays starting at 1:00.

Also, the TNT channel will have a new series The Librarians (based on the movies) starting in December from the same director (Dean Devlin) who did the movies and Leverage.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
How bout swamp people? It has a lot to do with nature and how people live down in the LA bayou. Never seen anything sexual. They do cuss but it gets beeped out. My kids and I love that show. We also love the turtle man. It has sooo many facts about all the animals he catches, plus he always just releases them into the wild, never hurts them.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
My 3 Sons. I dream of Jeannie. Mr. Ed.

PBS's Mark Twain biography. Endeavour (PBS/BBC).

We like Grimm, too, but our adult kids don't like it, and I don't think I would show it to the under 12 group at all. Just my 2cents worth.

What about some of the older "cop/mystery/medical drama" shows...Dragnet, Hawaii 5-0, Mannix, CHIPS, It Takes a Thief, Murder She Wrote, Emergency, St. Elsewhere,

Or the old variety shows - Carol Burnett, Andy Williams, Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In"

My son said FireFly is good, it ran for 2 seasons, but I haven't seen it...

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,911 Posts
I like a lot of the cooking and home improvement shows, but they probably wouldn't hold the attention younger kids. Rehab Addict, the "Crasher" shows, Fixer Upper, This Old House.
Also like American Pickers.

Reactions: Vosey and handymama

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I second Top Gear, never would of thought I'd watch a car show. Very funny, no sex, mostly clean, and swear words are bleeped. Many of the episodes involve "challenges" which are fun and often take place in other countries so it's got a bit of travel in it as well.

·
Premium Member
2,892 Posts
Our very favorite TV Show is "N C I S" Gibbs is our Favorite character. DaNozo is okay too.

We liked "Under the Dome" very well, too. But it's kind of left us Hanging, for the Summer. It's a great story, though.

T

·
0 Posts
Other than what has been mentioned, pbs has a lot of great cooking shows and home shows. There are some good ones on the farm channels. We got those occasionally when we had satellite. I really like Holmes on Homes. He shows the right and wrong way to build a house and he is extremely family friendly. Dirty Jobs is good, too.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts