Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, we have been "contingently approved" for our home equity loan, which will take some headaches out of paying off the rest of our debts - we opted for the 60 month version, and payments are just slightly less than all the loan payments separately at present. Soon we will be the proud owners of a 1977 Travelcraft Class C, which has been lovingly restored by our friend Rob, a talented handyman. He just bought himself a much bigger RV, so he let us have the beast now, in advance of his big fat $5,000 check. :)

DH spent most of the day cleaning it up and moving much of our camping stuff into the various cabinets, nooks and crannies of the RV. He's out there right now admiring our new "home", just as happy as a clam. As well he ought to be. :rolleyes:

OK...I like it a lot. But as you can see from the photos below, it is Very Very 1970's. The producers of That 70's Show could have used it on the set. It's Very Orange. Also Harvest Gold and Avocado with nifty Orange/Gold/Brown shag carpet. Amazingly fresh looking, though, for its age! Sort of like stepping through a time warp.

Let me take you on a tour:

Here is the kitchen. Note the lovely wallpaper and coordinating ORANGE curtain.

Dinette. Folds down to make a bed. Lovely large ORANGE curtain with white fringe shading a big window. In the shadows, you can just barely see DH sitting in the driver's seat.

Living room sofa, also folds down to make a bed. TV. A nice big camper fridge beneath. Just to the right, out of the photo, there is a counter with a microwave, and above that a cabinet with an ORANGE "stained glass" window in it. See the ORANGE vinyl upholstery beside the ORANGE sofa cushion under the ORANGE curtain? Above the cab is a little bedroom with ORANGE upholstered mattress and ORANGE curtain divider.

OMG, this room isn't TOTALLY ORANGE! It's Harvest Gold! With more 70's floral wallpaper! Seriously, I love the bathroom, it's a nice size, you can actually move around in it, unlike many RV bathrooms. There's a mirrored cabinet over the window (ORANGE curtain) and a really big mirror off to the left over the sink.

So give me some ideas for re-decorating this beast. For one thing, new curtains are definitely in order. Anything but orange! I'm thinking blue might be nice; DH thinks it might be cool to actually make them out of denim. And that wallpaper has to go, or at least get covered up.

Don't worry, this is gonna be a slow process...I still have to decorate our REAL house, but I think the curtains are a big priority here. :)

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
To be honest, the orange curtains aren't really that bad. If they're just too in your face orange for you, how about bringing them down a bit with a tea/coffee dye? Or a Rit dye job? That is if they're in good shape.

It's that blasted wallpaper that has to go...............LOL

Lighten up the cabinets with a paint job as well.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
Wow nice condition!
But wow rv interiors don't seem to change much lol... my bro just bought a 1990ish one and aside from the interior colors being blue it looks the same! I'll get some specs and maybe interior shots tomorrow. he's also planning renovations, because it's his fulltime home!

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
If it were mine, I'd replace all the curtains and whatever is upholstered in various shades of denim. It's cheap, it wears terrific, and looks great! I'd make accessories out of old denim (like matching potholders, towel toppers, etc).

Without doubt I'd have hubby pull up the flooring and replace with with a pergo type floor. If we're in our RV much longer, we plan to do the same. The cost is minimal with the small floor space, but extremely labor intensive.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
I think you should keep the 1970s decor, add some 1070s accessories, and dress in 1970s clothes when you go camping!

Now, wouldn't THAT be fun? :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Radical, Man! Time to shop for some bell bottoms, in polyester, of course! A nice big chunky set of shades, and some platform shoes..... You're cool, baby! Oh wait, a lot of that is trendy right now, you are so retro you are back in! LOL
Okay, so really, the orange curtains have got to go! And ummm, some paint would bring the kitchen area back to life, I would opt for white, but I am kinda bland that way. And I think I would be re-covering the cushions too.....did you mention orange shag carpet???? I hear that has a half-life of just about 500 years, so it's got a lot of wear left in it!
Anyway good luck with it, I hope it's every thing you want!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
It should be fairly easy to rewallpaper such a small space you could use the torn up wall paper or the brown paper bag style go to room by room ripped wallpaper I did this and it looks good my arthis would never let me hang wallpaper the right way there are no right ways anymore,
http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/rm_walls_other/article/0,1797,HGTV_3805_1394265,00.html

Sewing new curtians should be a snap what Cj says about the deniem that would look good and sewing new coushin covers to match looks like you will have something to keep you busy when all the snow and ice starts and your stuck at home this winter good luck and rember you can do it,paula

·
Registered
934 Posts
Whoaaaa,thanks for the flashback!....That was the EXACT wallpaper my mom "remodeled" our kitchen with back in the early 70`s!

Sharon

·
Metal melter
7,154 Posts
I'm with Willow. Leave it just like it is. The best you're going to do is make it look slighly less vintage. You might as well embrace the style and enjoy it. Contentment is a good thing (and it's a heck of a lot cheaper!).

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Get one of those multi colored afro wigs and pretend your on the 70's show :)
Seriously what cabin said is right you need to make sure there are no leaks or rot and have the drive line looked at.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Maybe you could replace the curtains with some orange ones???? LOL GOodness.
To be honest if your the type that does take awhile to finish a project (*raising my guilty hand here*) I would just leave it for now. Or do as some suggested and tone down the orange with some tea or RIT dye. Throws is a wonderful way to do a quick cover.
I went to re-do our camper and man I thought "This will take a day or two". Yea 3 weeks later, sheesh. We never used it cause I was still "finishing" it. Then within 3 months of buying it we were expecting, so we outgrew it before we could use it. Now we are looking for another one and I have all the kids and DH trained to say, "LEAVE THE INSIDE ALONE MAMA!" LOL Like DH says, 'We are camping in there,not living full time." That being said, if I could I will still pull whatever carpet is out and replace it with Pergo. Much easier to clean!
God Bless,
Michele

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I said, it's been restored and maintained by our friend, who really knows what he's doing. It's got a brand new a/c and fridge, the mechanical stuff is all up-to-date and recently serviced. The camper was in kind of rough shape when he bought it in 2001, and he's completely rehabbed the front and back and done some work on the roof as well. There are no leaks - you can tell there's no water damage anyplace - a lot of little things have been replaced. It's really impressive, but I guess nothing is guaranteed!

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
DenverGirlie,
Is she, Sara, the same one with the daughter and the same apartment? If so........(cause I think the blue birds are the same from the RV to her apartment) she is AMAZING!
God Bless,
Michele

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
Even when I admit that orange is likely at the top of my least favorit colors, my thrifty side says since everything is in such great shape, and it so nicely follows a 70's theme, keep it.

Unless you can afford (and my thrifty side says someone getting a home equity loan can't) to change out everything, what you will likely end up with is what is obvious an attempt to cover up what works.

Everything looks fresh, and new, with little if any wear - it would be soooo wasteful to replace things just because you think they are outdated. Think of it as you would a retored older home :)

Travel in pride and show off your 70's RV.

Marlene

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
You didn't show the outside.

Why not just put some of those giant multicolored daisy decals on the exterior and call it good?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.