Help me castrate my big pig!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Unregisterd, Jul 14, 2004.

1. Unregisterd

Unregisterd Guest

First time pig owner.

I have two pigs, purchased about 2 1/2 months ago. At the time they were cute 25 pound wieners.

These eating machines are now around 110 pounds. They have been fed mostly leftover food from a caterer friend and lots of apple peels from a local orchard, with a few bags of corn mixed in. They look great, healthy and strong, I can almost taste them already.

The problem is this.... One is female, the other male... and not castrated. I obviously have to castrate this fellow... and soon.

My plan is this. I was going to mix a bit of corn, a couple scoops of sugar and about 5 ounces of vodka in a bucket and let the poor sucker slurp it up. I can't believe he will have a great alcohol tollerance. Wait one hour and what then??? Hog tie him and slice the scrotum open and snip the testicals out?? What about infection? I don't think this guy has been clean for more then 30 seconds in his entire life! Do the cuts need any special care or am I making too much of this?

Thank a lot for any help.

2. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

That's almost the way my Dh does it......he drinks the 5 oz of vodka :haha:(not really) , hog ties the boar, slices and snips. Takes him a few minutes from start to finish. We've never had a problem with bleeding or infection. If you feel better, keep an spray bottle of iodine handy and give him a couple of squirts before letting him loose.
    The last boar he cut was well over 300lbs! It wasn't ours. :haha:

3. Daryll in NW FLA

Daryll in NW FLA Well-Known Member

Hi , I usually castrate my pigs when they are 3 or 4 days old- it's a one man job at that age. At 110 pounds you are going to need some help! When I first started with pigs I waited like you did-never again! Try a couple of quarts of beer and have a couple of friends to hold him-don't snip the cords jerk them out, a quick jerk or two has always done it for me. I have a spray bottle of 70% alcohol and spray him good before you start cutting after spray him with iodine-pigs heal up quick. I've done several hundred pigs in the last few years for myself and neighbors and never lost a pig yet. Have fun,Daryll in NW FLA

4. ohio_kid

ohio_kid Well-Known Member

Alcohol has a tendency to thin the blood. He may have a hard time clotting.

5. Do not get a pig drunk on hard liquer! They are like us injuns, they want to start fights and they don't care how big the other feller is. Now beer will make a pig a jolly good feller! ~I like beer, it makes me a jolly good feller~

Now to be on the serious side it will take two people. One person will need a pig snout catcher. He will slip the loop over the snout and tighten quickly. The boar will be more worried about his snout then what is going on on the other end. As long as the first person keeps a tight grip and pressure on the snout the other person can have the intestines cut out in no time. And always use a blue antiseptic spray on the cut areas.

6. Excuse me, I meant to say testicles not intestines! hiiiiccckk! (now where did I put my beer at?)

7. angus_guy

angus_guy Well-Known Member

excuse my ignorance but with calves I band them ........do pigs react differently to "bands" than cows do expecially after the beer or vodka

8. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

pig testicals are held up close to the body, there is no space for the band to attach to.

9. angus_guy

angus_guy Well-Known Member

10. bare

bare Head Muderator

I once made the mistake of waiting too long too. It took nearly a gallon of homemade wine to get the job done, but that was between two people.

I believe in your case you should have a third person. One to hold the hog, one to do the surgery, and one to take video.

Put me down for one.

11. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

if the pigs were purchased 2 and 1/2 months ago, and were probably at least a month old when you got them, your sow might already be pregnant. Some sows can get pregnant that fast, others take longer. It isn't healthy for babies to have babies.

As to the pig's constitution. My brother visited a couple weeks ago and brought some beer that neither of us liked. It tasted like a mix of liquid smoke and molasses. he started feeding it to some potbellies, as an "experiment in science" one forty pound potbelly drank 8 beers before staggering off to the old chicken coup

12. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

DH and I castrated one this big the other day. Trick him into an enclosed area with feed, one person grabs the back legs while the other gets his front end into a trash can or barrel. Tip the can upright, one holds his back legs while the other one cuts. It wasn't as hard as we thought it would be.

13. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

never cut 1 that big but we always slapped pine tar on the ones we did do.

14. bearkiller

bearkiller Well-Known Member

15. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Last time I did a Hog that size I asked my Father in Law if he could do it while I held it.Now this Hog weighed close to 200 pounds.

I get a little Corn,let him start eating,slipped up grabed him by the Leg,laid on his Chest,holding front Legs with one hand,holding Hind Leg with the other :cool: It was all I could do to hold him.My Father in Law had the Razor,all he had to do was the deed.Then he tells me he can't do it :eek: Now this is in the middle of the woods if the Hog gets away there is no recatching him.Well we switch places,I cut the Beast,spray him with Disinfectant turned him loose,did good.

big rockpile

16. Well folks, the deed is done.

We fed him about 5 shots of gin, tied his snout to a tree and did tht deed. We had a bit of a hard time getting the testicals out, and it took a bit of poking and prodding.

Now he is acting like he is still in a fair bit of pain. We snipped him Sat afternoon, and now Mon evening I don't feel totally good about the situation. He has a large cut accross the bottom of his scrotum, and it looks pretty dirty. His scrotum is also quite swollen, although I think it is mostly from the prodding. I was surprised how large a cut we would need due to the size of his testicals, and also how thick the flesh was that we had to cut through.

He is still eating, although he seems less energetic about gettin up then before. Should I try and give him some antibiotics to clear up a possible infection or should I let him go another few days?

Thanks so much for any help.

Pete

17. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one mentioned giving him a tetanus shot before the job. I'd give him one. Keep the area clean by washing him down and spraying with iodine or hydrogen peroxide. I do not have experience with this, so I don't know if it is normal. Some soreness sounds normal but swelling doesn't sound normal to me. It brings to mind infection, I think an LA200 shot might be in order, but again, I don't have the experience in these matters. I hope he pulls through fine. Castration is best done at 3 days according to the AG literature I read.

18. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

no you can't band pigs, this pig should have been cut months ago. If you have a vet . cut him now, you will want to wait until he gets around two hundred or 40, for prime weight. His meat might taste strong, since he is so big already. and chances are your female is already pregnant . theymate sort of fast, and you might not have caught it, they also mate at night, or just any time that they can.

19. Well, I picked up some penicillin and gave the pig a couple of shots.

One on Tues morning, the second one today.

The big guy is looking much better. The swelling has gone down and he is acting like his rowdy old self again. He still has a large cut on his scrotum, but I guess that will heal from the inside out.

Thanks for all your help. I will keep him on the penicillin for a few more days, but I don't anticipate any more problems.

This has been quite an experience. It is good to push one's limits.

Pete

20. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

now you know you can't butcher this pig for quit some time. one hehas to heal, and two the pen. has to wear off, and that takes some time. If you are thinking about butchering him, i wouldn't until at least feb. never heard of givng a pig gin to drink, but there is always the first time for everything.
    I would give him 5 more doses of the pen. one a day, and hope for no infection. and good luck.