Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My uncle got a goat from an auction and decided he was going to keep it with my goats. She had kids a few days ago and one teat has mastitis. She is on penicillin and I'm rubbing the teat three times a day with bag balm and peppermint oil. The problem is I can't get any of the milk out! When I try to strip it out a little will leak out of her pores but that is it. Any thoughts? Ideas? I'm desperate.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
I read somewhere here that there is an infusion you can buy to squirt up into the teat. Hope someone else here will help you! Sorry I don't know more about it.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
You need Today or some other antibiotic that can be squirted right into the teat orifice. Instructions should come with the tube and should be available at a good feed store or even hardware store that has a "rural animal" department. Be sure to work the medicine up into the udder and repeat as recommended. IF that is not successful, you may be dealing with something that needs a vet's attention. We also treat each of our girls with Go Dry (similar tube application) at the end of the milking season to give additional protection during the dry period of the year. Once she has recovered fully, you might want to consider Fight Back (a spray coolant) that assists in closing off the teat orifice after milking (I assume you will be milking after 3 weeks or so). Kids nursing is a bit different than you milking and the Fight Back will help close off the area quickly to germs.
Mastitis, unfortunately, can be chronic...or not. You got her full grown, pregnant and probably without much information on her background. What her particular story is may just have to unfold...but the antibiotic needs to be put directly into the teat(s) - do NOT use the same tube for both teats...use a different tube if the other teat is a problem.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Get an udder infusion called ToDay and follow instructions. use teat Tape to tape that teat up so the drug stays in the udder instead of the kids eating it (It wont hurt them, but then it won't help her if they eat it). Tape it well so they won't try to nurse, but don't tape it tight to restrict blood flow. Supplement kids with storebought cows milk and a bottle at least 2x per day, and let them keep nursing the good.

Follow the instructions for ToDay on the box. You will milk out that side as completely as possible, infuse a whole tube into the teat, and let it set for 12 hrs, then milk it out and REPEAT. your problem may be scar tissue/swelling at the base of the teat so be prepared to massage, heat pack, and possibly use a DILUTE peppermint oil bag balm on there (externally)

I usually do a systemic antibiotic for 5-7 days as well. Here, we like a product called BioMycin which is a NO PAIN form of oxytetracycline 200mg/ml injectible (at tsc, brand name is Duramycin, but it is in a drug carrier that is painful when injected, just to warm you).

After just tossing a stressed out, parturient doe in with your established herd, you better hope mastitis is the worst issue she has. Lots of troublesome diseases can come in from animals when purchased, not to mention when they're ran though a sale barn that sees lots and lots of diseased animals. I always strongly suggest avoiding sale barns at all cost and isolating incoming animals for a period of time to prevent problems with your entire herd.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
Just had a thought on this. Does her teat feel like it's plugged? In addition to the mastitis, she may have milk stone in there.

One time, Trub had a stone I couldn't work out. I finally got out my littlest crochet hook, soaked it in alcohol, and threaded it up into the teat orifice.

Sweet satisfaction! Pulled out the stone, milk gushed forth with a couple of pulls. I swan, I heard her groan in relief!

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
You probably want to separate her from the rest of the herd. No telling what she may have picked up along her journey...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts