Help! Massacre at the rabbit colony.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by r.h. in okla., Sep 10, 2006.

1. Went out to feed this morning and something big had torn up one of my cages, made off with one rabbit, and jerked toes off of several other rabbits.

I can't imagine what done it. There is blood and meat thrown all over the walls and ceiling as if there was two or more fighting over one rabbit. I had two wire cages connected together on top of a 2 X 4 frame, with a tin roof. In one cage I had 3 fryers, the other cage I had two fryers. I was planning on butchering the two this morning. But it is the one that has been ripped open and one missing with the other one under terrible stress and loss of toes. The cage with the 3 fryers in it they all have toes missing and are at a stressful shock. There is blood everywhere and on everything in those two cages. As for my other rabbits, I have one other that has a terrible cut on it's nose.

I can't imagine what done this as I grabbed one of the other cages and tried to pull it apart with some force and realized it would really take a lot of force to pull it apart. The cage that has the front pulled lose, the wire clips that hold it together are just almost completly straightened out as if it didn't take much effort.

I checked my dogs which are in the midsize range and neither one of them had any blood on them. They grew up with the rabbits and have never bothered them much. Only when they were small pups they would bark at them.

I'm just wondering if it would have been a bear that could have done this. Oklahoma is not known for bears as they are just moving in here from Arkansas. If not a bear what other animal would have done this?

2. Xandras_Zoo

Xandras_Zoo Well-Known Member

I would guess a raccoon. They are pretty strong. I just don't think a bear would have the precision to nibble off toes.

3. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

My first thought was raccoon too.

4. Denise K.

Denise K. Well-Known Member

Dogs.....might not be yours. But sure sounds like a dog/dogs. I have experinced the a dog attack.....we know as he left a "calling card" Lost 28 rabbits and several more from wounds over the next month. By the way they can be real quiet during the attack they don't always bark. Sorry you had to experince this. It is horrible feeling to walk out and see.
    Denise

5. bob clark

bob clark A man's man

I am sorry you had to experience this . it was done to my rabbits several monthes ago by dogs. it is a terible thing to see

6. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

Wild dogs (wild domestic type) or neighbors dogs... once they tasted the blood from the toes they went crazy and then started bashing the cage until they had one they fought over. My husband bought a dog that would smash her head through my cages to get to rabbit and chicken - they go nuts or a "feeding frenzy" and remind me of what you see sharks do in TV when they are feeding. My neighbor has two dogs - the only time they go on a killing spree is when they get together. If they are kept apart - they are fine. He keeps them chained up. Those two when after my sheep and angora goat - one rammed his muzzel through the chest wall of a baby angora goat and riped out the heart - left the rest laying there....
    These type of kills are habitual for those type of animals. I have my rabbits and smaller chicken in a garage where I can close the doors at night. Be careful tonight - they may be back.
    So, so sorry that you have had this happen.

7. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

Would a Bobcat do that? I would think it would have to be something bigger then a raccoon, but maybe not. A few years ago I had a mother and whole bunch of babies in a large cage just outside the rabbitry on saw horses and one morning when I went out to feed all that was in the cage were their heads. ICK!

8. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

We had pack of dogs that would come from town and get under the cages and rip off the bunny toes.

I got five of them, one at a time, as they exited the enclosed area where the rabbit cages were. One of those times I was glad there wasn't a plug in the shotgun. :)

9. Well I tied my dogs up, hoping that whatever it was will be back tonight. I have a booby-trap ready for whatever done it. I have had problems with coons before with chickens that I use to raise. The coon would grab a chicken and just literally pull the bird through the wire panel. I'm thinking that is what happened last night and the culprit might be a big boar coon again. The last time I had this problem I set up a booby-trap and killed what probably was about a 30 - 35 pound boar coon. So maybe tomorrow morning I will find another big ole boar coon dead in his tracks. If successful, I will let you know tomorrow evening.

10. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

if a coon ripped open the cage it would have gotten in the cage and killed everything inside, if a dog ripped open the cage it would have grabbed what it can reach and leave the rest alone, a dog wont go through alot of effort if it cant get to something, it will kill what it can reach and harras the rest till it gets board,
    a coon if given the chance will kill everything it can get at, and a hole in the cage is enough to let the coon in,

my vote is some stray dogs

11. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

If memory serves me well, you gave that coon to and Native American friend. That was a big coon. On the poultry forum Cyngbaeld had posted about a Have-a-Heart type trap that she used was pulled apart and found out it was probably a coon. Destructive buggers.

So sorry to hear about your loss. Poor rabbits.

12. Well to let you know what's going on. I set the trap the first night and it poured rain all night long so nothing came around that night. But last night, I reset the booby trap and something triggered it. However, it didn't kill anything. It missed! But there were no dead rabbits this time so I guess the gunshot scared off whatever it was. Hopefully it won't come back anymore, or at least for tonight as I didn't have time to run out there and reset and re-adjust the aim. We'll find out in the morning.

But if he keeps coming back, I'll get him one way or another. I got more tricks in the bag! :cool:

13. pasotami

Did you find the culpret?

14. Mountaineer

Mountaineer Well-Known Member

I've had really good luck keeping everything out setting up the electric mesh around all my animals. Just make a little gate for you to get in. There will always be another raccoon.

15. quietstar

quietstar Well-Known Member

I'm confused...Your post was "massacre at the rabbit colony" but only cages were mentioned. I'm researching and making preparations to establish a rabbit COLONY and no cages are involved unless you count the trap pen as a cage. Have I failed to understand how a colony is usually set up? Please set me straight....Glen

16. Well I guess my setup is a combination colony/cages. What I done was converted my old chicken coop into a colony where the adult rabbits can run around inside and outside in the pen area. However, after so many days I remove the adult females and place them in a cage to have and raise their litters in. Then when the kits get close to the fryer stage I remove them from their momma's and place them in what I call the fryer pens. Where I pour lots of feed to them before processing them. After a couple of weeks I place the momma rabbit back in the colony pen.

However, for the last 3 weeks or so I haven't been able to use the colony pen cause a big windstorm came through and toppled a tree over onto the old chicken coop. The big tree looks like it is barely setting on top of the very edge and could fall right into the colony pen at anytime. So I am not using it right now and have everyone back in cages.

I hope that clears up a few thoughts for you.

17. I forgot to mention. Whatever it was hasn't been back since triggering the boobytrap night before last and I hope he won't be back tonight as I haven't had a chance still yet to reset the booby trap.

I had a Aunt pass away and we had her funeral today so that is why I haven't had time to do anymore preparedness. Maybe tomorrow night!

18. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

By any chance was this a couple of nights ago, on the full moon?? Any gypsie fortune tellers in the village lately?? Do you have a neighbor that looks like Lon Chaney Jr.? I have a theory but need more info. Oh, tie wolfbane on all windows and doors till we figure this out.

19. wottahuzzee

wottahuzzee Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry to hear about your aunt.

Please, keep us updated on predator. I would like to know what it is and how you take care of it.

20. pasotami

Ditto on your aunt - It is never an easy time when a relative passes. May you and your family find peace and take care.... let us know when you find your predator.