help, major rabbit eye problem...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by BamaSuzy, Dec 4, 2006.

1. BamaSuzy

BamaSuzy Well-Known Member

Three of my Angora rabbits are having problems, each with one of their eyes...

This occurred at different times and they are away from each other in the bunny barn...no rabbit in hutches on either side of them are having this problem and none of the lops or Angora crosses are having this problem...

The eye runs and stuff mats under the eyes....one of the rabbits had this problem and I didn't notice it until there was a huge mat there...

I used oil to gradually get the mat away but now there is just pink skin there and no hair, which looks awful but which seems to make the bunny much more careful.

I've been raising Angoras for about seven years now and I've never had this problem before and at one time I had nearly 40 of them....now I have about 15 that are Angoras...

On the two that had the problem earlier, I've used Benedryl creme around the eye where the skin was tender and use Tears no Preservative drops in the eyes...and they are doing much better....

Also the first two had this problem about two months ago and the last one just had the problem in the last few days...

What could be causing this? have I not been keeping the hair cut close enough around the eye? is the rabbit barn too dusty?

Any ideas on how to prevent this or what it is???? Any help and advice will be appreciated! We don't have a vet here that specializes in rabbits....when I ask the vet a rabbit question, he goes to the Internet and looks it up!

2. BamaSuzy

Oh---and I do check on my rabbits twice a day (sometimes more often)making sure they have food and water and no other problems....but some how the eye problem slipped up on me....

One of the rabbits who had the first problem also had some eye canker and the problem below the eye almost looked like the ear canker....could it be related to some type mite? if so how do I prevent it? how do I treat it?

3. BamaSuzy

well, I've looked up several sites on the Internet and found where I likely need to give this rabbit some Baytril drops since she may have a respitory infection as well....I also called my vet and he will have the drops and the correct dosge for me to pick up without a vet visit...I'm also supposed to continue the tears treatment and the ointment around the eye...

does that sound right to everybody???

4. orphy

orphy Well-Known Member

Sounds like a good plan to me. You seem to know what you are doing. I have been also playing with some crosses of angoras. Maybe you can tell me if it is true that the 1st gen cross is always short haired. Thats what I have been told. By the way baytril is a great drug. Try if you can to also get some injectable from your vet to keep on hand it can take care of any infection problems you have. I always try to get some extra.

5. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

It sounds like an eye infection or a blocked tear duct, but of course, it's impossible to get an accurate diagnosis online! :help: Do the eyes look infected (pus and/or redness and swelling), or merely tears overflowing?

In the case of an eye infection, most people recommend using an ophthalmic (sp?) eye ointment to treat it. It's sold under the Terramycin brand name in Tractor Supply Co. stores. It costs about $10 for this tiny little tube, but you only need to apply a few drops to the rabbit's eye.

I've heard good things about Baytril, but personally, I'm leary of using any antibiotic on a rabbit unless I'm sure they're suffering from an infection. :)

6. BamaSuzy

I wouldn't even consider an oral or an injectable antibiotic unless I was pretty sure there was an infection....since this rabbit has a respiratory infection as well I'm giving the Baytril. The other two just had topical antibiotics for their eyes.

I will check out the eye ointment...we don't have a Tractor Supply in our county so I will check at our local co-op and at Southern States.

7. Momish

Momish Well-Known Member

We have lop bunnies and our Momma had eyes like this recently. We made a tea of 3 tbsp loose Chamomile and 1 tbsp fennel. We boiled water (about 3/4 of a qt mason jar full), and then we steeped the loose tea in a tea ball for about 5 minutes. We then poured the water thru a cloth to extract the little loose tea parts that were in it. Using some small circular cotton pads we would soak the pad in the mixture and gently clean and wipe the eyes of the momma bunny. Using a clean wipe each time. After about 5 - 7 days her eyes cleared and we continued to use it for for 2 -3 weeks time. She is eye problem free.

You can get fennel in the spice dept at the grocery store. The chamomile can be purchased in the ethnic section of your grocery store also. Don't know why its in the ethnic section, but it is :)

Shell