HELP!! links needed.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by vegascowgirl, Sep 20, 2005.

1. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

Hubby decided to clean some old unused links out of our favorites today. In doing so, he also deleted some new links :grit: (strangle, strangle, strangle).

I've lost the links that were given to me for soap making supplies. Could some of you fine folks repost those links again PLEASE?
    Also was wondering if some supplies could be found at craft/hobby stores or what not?

O.K. next question...(just out of curiosity) when making lotion bars do you use the same fragrance oils as with soap, or is it a different thing all together?

2. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

I can't help you on the fragrance oils/lotion bars question but, depending upon how old these links are try looking in your history files. That is your first option. Secondly, the hard way is Googling "soap making supplies." Also, what I do for protection from deletion of specific files such as you are discussing is copying the links into a word document and save on my harddrive and also on a removable disk. The removable disk saves files from such things as lighting strikes.

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

http://www.soapdishforum.com/forum/

here's an excellent place to look.

Also, yes, you can use the same fragrance oils with lotion bars as you do with soap. HTH!

Nance

I have lots of other links but they're on my favorites list at home. Will try to get to it after work.

4. deb

deb Well-Known Member

My soapers group web page: www.soapnuts.com

Suppliers I've ordered from:
    www.brambleberry.com
    www.oldtimerlily.safeshopper.com
    www.soaperschoice.com (columbus foods, excellent oil source)
    www.thescentshack.com
    www.thesage.com
    www.chemistrystore.com

Craft stores will have a limited soaping area and most of that space will be devoted to melt and pour soaps. I make cold process soap so I don't find much locally. However, the Internet has a wide variety of suppliers of soap making materials and some of those suppliers actually make soap so they will give you the information you need: the flash point of a scent, does the scent discolor CP soap, does the scent accelerate trace or worse yet does this scent tend to seize? The folks who make soap will actually test their products before selling them and they will avoid selling products that don't work.

You can purchase some oils and fats locally...but be careful and always read the label for extra ingredients that might cause trouble. Lately the super WalMart has been carrying cans of coconut oil, sometimes I can find palm oil at the asian market, I can get sunflower and olive oil at most grocery stores and the prices are okay. If you find Shea Butter locally it is going to cost you A LOT more than buying it online. Essential oils are much cheaper online and you can't trust "scents" purchasef in a regular store to work in soap...esp if there is alcohol in that scent!

I've never had any problems with the suppliers I listed, but in general you want to start out buying smaller quantities from a new supplier so you can test the quality of their products.

As for scenting lotion bars, you can use some essential oils, but you need to be read up on that essential oil before assuming it is okay for pure skin contact. Some suppliers will tell you if their fragrance oils are okay for lotions and such so read the descriptions carefully.

deb
    in wi

5. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

check with the goat boards. They make alot of soap with goats milk

6. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Deb!

These are absolutely some of my faves. I was working up almost the exact same list! Thanks! I've never used the Chemistry store yet and their site looks awesome. Old Timer & Lily is new to me as well. Can't wait to try them myself! I have soaping fever bad and we have a craft fair in Nov. at our church so LOOK OUT! :eek: Soaping central at my house.

Oh! Another good one for fragrances is www.cybilla.com Awesome FO's. OOPS! Just checked my link and Cyb has been bought out by Brambleberry, another good company. Have fun!

Thanks again! :goodjob:

Nance

7. soltrad

soltrad New Member

If you are looking for pure virgin coconut oil from the land of coconuts, try this link www.villagenterprises.com. Coconut oil is chemical free

8. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member