Help! Latex Foam Mattress

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cntrydude, May 5, 2005.

1. cntrydude

cntrydude Active Member

Hello All,
    We purchased a Latex foam mattress about 6 mos. ago and we just can't get used to it. We wake up feeling like we are laying on a heat pad. We went with the latex because it was suppose to "breathe" better than the memory foam and was not supposed to be hot. The comfort is great and we like that part about it. We have tried a thick cotton mattress pad with no help. Has anyone else had this problem? Do we just write this off as a loss and go with the sleep # bed? Thanks for any help.

2. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

I also have this problem. As you, we have tried the cotton mattress pad, no help for us either. I sure hope someone has an idea, I sure hate the thought of buying another mattress.

3. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

If it were me, I'd try 2 thick cotton mattress pads.

And, make sure you have sheets that are 100% cotton.
    They usually cost a little more---but anything with any polyester in it makes me "burn".

Same thing with my blankets-----all cotton...........no acrylic!

When you blow up a balloon, do your lips get itchy and maybe burn?

It's a sure sign of a latex sesitivity.

4. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

"It's a sure sign of a latex sesitivity."

Believe me, you don't want to know what the other sign is!

5. airotciv

airotciv Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks, I never knew I had a sensitivity to latex, I thought itchy and burning lips after blowing up a balloon was just normal. I will try the two cotton matress pads, my sheets and everything else on the bed is 100% cotton. Thanks again.

6. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

We were a lot more comfortable with ours once we put a featherbed on top. That is held in place by a cotton chenille mattress cover.
    Also,
    Excepting the coldest winter days, I almost always have the ceiling fan going.

7. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

Try a lambs wool mattress pad. Thye are wonderful!

8. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

Cover any latex. That should help. Feather beds are nice...

9. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

We got hte memory foam, but also put a lambswool mattress pad on it. It hooks
    on each corner with an big elastic. It works great. Worth every penny.

Instead of buying expensive cotton pads to try, i would try putting a couple of
    cotton blankets or something to see if that helps, if not, i would try the lambswood cover. That way, your not spending $$ on a cotton pad that won't work.

10. okiemom

okiemom Well-Known Member

from a different angle... We have a sleep # bed and LOVE it. that's for if you ever trade. I also have a feather mattress on it too. Make sure you put a cover on top of the feathers. They are expensive to clean. Mine will cost $55. Would not trade it. Nor my feather comforter, feather pillows..... can you tell I love feathers :rolleyes: ???? Saying that, there have been times I have woken up sweating. The feathers can hold in heat. I normally have a fan running for the noise ( can't stand to hear myself breath) and air circulation. Not much for still air. This really helps heat issues.

I will not ever put sheets on my bed that are not 100% cotton. They last better, :) are cooler :) , won't pill :grump: :bash: :soap: , and are healthier IMHO :) . it might not hurt to even put a cotton mattress cover under the feathers on top of the foam.

Call the dealership and ask them about it. When I tried out the foam mattress I was impressed about how it contoured to my body. I didn't really want it though because I am a "flopper" I toss and turn. When I would try to turn over I felt like I was in quicksand. "molded" in the bed. when I am nested in the feathers I can get hot as I am "wrapped" up in my bed. As always....just my own opinions.

Good luck on your sleep quest :) . Sleep is more valuable than gold. As I have found after having children :haha: .

11. tallpines

I've always wondered how in the world those "contour" beds offer the proper spine alignment.

In a person has too many extra pounds in any area------say the buttox, Then that "heavy area" is gonna sink right down.
    Sure it coutours around that area----but what if you actually need that area supported, rather than sinking into the foam------to avoid your back from sagging and becoming uncomfortable?

12. tallpines

Feathers-------
    Just like latex----some people have sensitivity to feathers.

I always wake up with a headache when I sleep with feathers.

13. cntrydude

cntrydude Active Member

Thank you everyone for the responses, this gives us some options to try! You all are the greatest.