Help! Laboring Goat under chicken coop

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

My goat is in active labor and my male goat chased her under the chicken coop. I removed him, but she won't come out. Contractions are hard and close but no sack showing yet. How can I move her? Should I move her...it's muddy and dirty! I think she's thirsty so I am trying to lure her out with sweet water. Treats didn't work, she's not interested.

Please reply asap.

2. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Can you get up under there and get a hold of her and pull her out? Maybe some feed to tempt her with? Good thing you got him out of there. Bucks can kill babies. Hope she cooperates. Good luck.

3. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

hope you get her out, you will probably just have to pull her out. she is scared pretty bad, it seems. good luck, and with the kidding also. let us know how it gos.

4. Croenan

Well, she finally came out just as the feet started to show! I thought the baby was upside down, but it wasn't, whew! (I was alone and it was my first)

Unfortunately I had to be there through most of it, I tried to keep my distance but it was a fast birth. Baby girl, is doing well, and nursed a little but mom won't stop cleaning her. I am worried about mom though, she had the baby about an hour ago and I don't think she has passed the placenta. Do they eat it very quickly? I don't see it anywhere. It was half out and then I couldn't see it at all. What should I do if it doesn't pass soon?

Advice needed soon.

Corrie Ann

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

congrats on the little doeling. be happy it went fine. goats are eating the placenta if you let them.

6. Cara

Cara Well-Known Member

If the afterbirth was hanginh, and now it's gone, she got to it first. :) That's just fine....mine eat it about half the time. Congrats on the doeling!

7. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

CONGRATS. that is super, now if she has some loose bowels, don't panic, it will be because she ate the after birth. it is ok. good job.

8. Croenan

9. Croenan

First of all, I want to say thanks to everyone who has posted in the last 2 days to help me! You guys are the greatest.

Momma and baby are doing well. Of course I am worrying if the baby ate enough and if it will be warm enough, but what can I say, I'm a worrying grandma. Snowflake, the doe, is either passing or has passed the placenta in the last 1/2 hour. I see a gloob underneath her, but I can't see much else and she is calm so I am assuming that all is fine with momma. Baby has eaten sparingly, and is resting right now. She suckled for about 30 seconds at a time, but milk is flowing well. I milked momma a little (teaspoon) to offer to Chianna (that's her name) and she wasn't interested, but she would try to suck my fingers, and she sucks strongly.

Looking back at it all, I had a terrible time keeping the herd away from her, which is why she ended up in the middle of a muddy field. It was hard to have to move the baby to the goat house to get momma to go inside, but it was sprinkling and getting cold. I really hated to have to be there at all. I mostly kept my distance, and I was able to zoom in for some good pictures. Looking back, my buck gets moved when she gets close. Some of the girls may have to be moved as well. They were butting her right in the middle of pushing! Also, I couldn't really dip the umbilical cord into iodine, it is so tiny and wiggly! I was able to pool betadine in my clean hands and sorta dip the end in and rub it around the dangling part. I hope that's ok...I hate to bother them again. Also the umbilical cord bled for a while and I tied it off, but couldn't cut the floss short enough (wiggly baby) and she ended up stepping on it and pulling the knot off, but the bleeding appeared to stop.

For anyone interested in the birth photos I got, I have a photo album link below.
    http://www.seraphworks.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=album05

10. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

;)

be sure to give mom a nice treat and a big drink of sweet water...sounds like she was abit stressed....make sure she eats right away!

11. 4rnubians

4rnubians Well-Known Member

Congratulations.. Glad to hear Momma & Baby are doing fine :)

12. Croenan

I hear that I can put a sweater on her if it is cold. It's 46 and rainy and breezy, it'll get to about 40 with the cloud coverage. Is that cold? Snowflake and Chianna are in a 4X8 goat house, like a dog house, and I blocked the doorway so my other brats would leave them alone, and to keep the warmth in. I'd rather not put anything on her because I'll start to worry if it got loose and she choked or something. I don't knit so it'd be the sleeve of an old sweater of mine made to fit her closely.

Any thoughts?

13. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Those temps don't sound too cold at all, but it really depends on what temperatures your goats are used to. It gets into the single digits here at night and my critters do just fine in an un-insulated barn.

If the baby gets cold she'll cuddle in close to her mom. As long as she's eating good I think she'll be ok.

14. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Congratulations!!! Sounds like everybody did a wonderful job.! :)

15. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Great Pics. Gald mommy and baby are doing fine.