Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just got a goat he is 8 months old. He keeps on getting over our 4 foot fence. He can't stand to be without my DD he is fine while she is in there with him as soon as she leaves he follows. He is the only one we have should we get another one or two. We have 2 acres fenced off for him but he will no go any where unless she is next to him.Should I get electric fence?This is our first goat and she loves him dearly. I wanted to wait a little while before getting some more. Any kind of advice you could give us would be helpful. I would like to know as much info on goats that I can get.Thanks

·
Twin-Reflection Nubians
1,014 Posts
Him being the only goat is 99.9% of your problem. Goats are EXTREMELY social and VERY VERY herd oriented. He needs a buddy. 2 acres is plenty of browse for 2 goats. Just get another wether to keep him company until you feel you are ready to add does to your "herd." Wethers are cheap and very easy to take care of. He will most likely go out and eat quite a bit if he has a buddy. Right now your DD is his surrogate herd mate. That's why he gets so upset when she leaves.

·
Twin-Reflection Nubians
1,014 Posts
Also, as long as he has browse (That is leafy and lots of it available), free choice goat minerals, and clean fresh water that is all he shoud need unless he is a little guy and is still growing. Then you could give him some grain but not much. You can give a teeny bit of grain to him as a treat but I like to use bread or carrots or apples or a variety of other things as treats. Wethers do not require much to eat as they are mainteneace animals. Like I said good browse, and minerals out free choice are all he really needs.

Many wethers end up with UC (urinary calculi which is like bad kidney stones that can cause the bladder to rupture and the goat dies.) This is the main reason grain should not be fed in excess to bucks and wethers. Keeping the calcium to Phosphorous ratio at 2 to 1 is the best way to avoid it.

He does need some type of run in shelter to get out of the wind and rain and sun. Other than that he should be fine.

·
Registered
4,910 Posts
yes he eeds company.

one time, i was down to only one goat. she ran in a pack with my dogs. i always wished i had a video of her chasing cars. :)

·
Premium Member
9,244 Posts
He needs a buddy first-off. And then maybe a strand of electric fence. :) Is he an intact buck or a castrated buck?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for all the info on the grain and kidney stones. I thought that a campanion would help but i wasn't sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts