Help! Japanese Beetles.

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Jodi, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Jodi

Jodi Well-Known Member

Those pesky things are eating the leaves off my plum tree...which I just planted and have feasted on my strawberries. So far they havne't munched on my cherry bushes.

How do you control these things? Can you control them?

Thanks!

Jodi

2. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

We have them too...Dont know what to do either.

Belinda

3. kathy H

kathy H kathyh

There is traps you can get for adults, also a nematode for larvae. check www.GardensAlive.com page 45 and 37.

4. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Use the traps only if you want to bring them all from the neighborhood to your yard. Or if you have a neighbor you aren't especially fond of offer to let them use your traps.Then the bugs all go over there.

We get infested usually about this time every year. The best way to beat them is to do the beetle stomp. Place a flat board in the garden. Put a pair of closed toed shoes on and smush the little suckers after you grab them off the plants. The alternative is a ziploc bag or bottle full of water. (No ziplocs in the raspberries though... my kids were little and we gave them the bags so they could manage easier, they ripped the bugs went in the top and out the bottom :eek: )

The treatment for the soil is expensive but works. We like the stomp it usually will keep the kids busy for about an hour a day and they get quite a competition going!

5. vicki in NW OH

vicki in NW OH Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, Neem spray repels them. Maybe you could spray your plum tree with that. Since you just planted the plum, I am assuming it is still small. You could cover it with netting. You can get nylon netting at fabric stores.

6. Katherine in KY

Katherine in KY Well-Known Member

We've had more than usual this year I think. I knock them off in a bucket of soapy water every day, but there always seem to be more! I heard a great way to use the traps; hang one in your chicken yard, and remove the collection bag. Apparently the chickens learn to jump up and get the beetles when they're lured into the trap. I sure wish our chickens were close to my garden.

7. Mickey

Mickey Well-Known Member Supporter

My feeling about the beetle bags is this; they are here anyway and I'd rather they be attracted to the bags than my Austin roses. Works for me.
    Mickey

8. gmom

gmom Well-Known Member

Hers's some info on the pesky critters.

http://www.ghorganics.com/JapaneseBeetle.html
    Gmom

9. al

al Well-Known Member

You might check out

bettysazalearanch.com

under calendar/june

she reccomends planting white geraniums under your rose bushes. Claims these will attract the JB's and kill them.

We have had very few this year, and personaly I think the guinie hens are responsible.

10. I've heard that four-o-clocks and okra will attract and kill them. Haven't tried it, though. On the list for next year.......

Frumpy

PS. I've also heard that four-o-clocks are poisonous to people, so read the seed label.

11. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

I fill a jar with kerosene, put on a pair of gloves, and walk around picking them off of everything on throwing them in the jar. They only seem to be out in hordes for a short time each year. How could such a pretty little beetle be such a nuisance? :rolleyes:

12. lharvey

lharvey Well-Known Member

This year is the first year in many that we don't have a lot of beetles for a change. Actually very few.

We are thinking that the winter was so hard and that the frost was very deep before the snowfall, that they got killed off like some of our shrubs and plants that we've had for years.

My wife does the soapy water thing every night and this year the numbers are way way down compared to previous years.

L

13. We have dusted every plant in the garden with Sevin dust
    and it seems to keep ALL bugs out.
    Of course if you like to pick\eat,You won't be able to do that wityout washing it first.
    Ritch

14. anOldTroll

anOldTroll Well-Known Member

this is the first year I haven't had a problem with them and I have planted more heritage roses too. What I find is usefull is the chickens and cats... I planted the rose garden so the birds and cats can walk and sleep under the plants and trimed the front part with dusty miller instead of marigolds. Seems having less shelter around the plants and the constant movement makes it less desirable for the bugs.
    The chickens eat the bugs and leave fertilizer so its a good thing all around. I am still having a problem with Iris borers... any suggestions?

thanks