Help, is this a weed?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Unregistered-1427815803, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Hi, I'm hoping someone can help me, I've found (twice) in my backyard grass something that looks like a small baby carrot. It's orange and essentially looks like someone took a baby carrot and stuck it in my lawn. When I poked at it with a stick I found it to be hollow. It came up easily and I simply threw it away.

What the heck is it? Anyone know what I'm talking about.

ANY help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. I forgot to add that last year (as well as this year) I sprinkled wild flower seeds along the fence in my yard. So, I'm wondering if this was a product of that? (Seeds could have flown to the middle of my lawn, it's possible)

Anyway, thanks for any help.

3. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Does the leafy part look like carrot too, or just the root?

4. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Is that all it is, the "carrot"? And above ground?

5. Hi,

From what I remember (I threw it away so I'm going on memory) the "green leaf" on the outside was'nt that big like a "normal" giant weed. The "carrot" part was the biggest part (and we're talking about - tops - 2 inches here)

Like I said before it looked like someone took a baby carrot and stuck it in my lawn. But, it was hollow inside when I poked at it. There was nothing there really. (Which made the whole thing even weirder for me) It looked kind of like a big thick orange stalk I guess.

Sorry I'm not much help.

Thanks for responding btw. : )

6. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Some kind of mushroom? :confused:

7. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Queen Anne's Lace is closely related to carrots and produce a root that looks remarkably like a carrot but is dry, hard and woody. It's commonly found in wildflower mixes. If you had mowed that part of the yard, then the above ground part would not have been very big. If it is/was queen anne's lace and you had not mowed it, it would grow to be about 3 feet tall and have a beautiful lacy white flower.

8. Hi, (me again)

Thanks for all the responses. I'm going to chalk it up to something from the wild flower mix that I've had floating around my backyard the past 2 years.

DayBird - yes, my husband just mowed the lawn a couple days before, so......I guess he "mowed off" part of it which left me with what I saw.

Anyway, thank you to all who responded.

Much appreciated! : )