Help in the next 10 minutes?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jcran, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Any help with decox 40% doses? I'm leaving for home SOON and need it as I've lost it-GRRRR....need to dose some kids.

2. malickfarms

malickfarms Well-Known Member

Wish I could help--My vet doesn't recommend that for my goats!

Sorry
    April

3. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

does 1 cc per 10lbs day 1 then 1/2 cc per 10lbs sound right ?

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

Treatment : 1cc per 10# the first day and 1/2 cc per 10# the last 4 days.
    Preventative : 1/2cc 2x daily for first week, then 1/2cc once per week till weaning.

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

dona i never heard about the preventative dosage. where did you get that from?

6. Caprice Acres

I think from this forum... where I get all my other info... :) I keep word documents of info on my computer, and I probably copied it from a post and pasted it underneath my info for coccidia treatment in the word document. I remember adding it not too long ago. Isn't that were the term of "raised on coccidia prevention" comes from? thats what I assumed, lol.

7. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

dona i think it is an excellent idea to save info. but please make a research after that and/or ask your vet if the info is correct.
    i and most breeder i know are doing coccidia prevention the five day course. we call it prevention because you do it every three weeks before the lifecycle from this parasite is completed.
    if you already deal with coccidisis recommended treatment from my vet would be three weeks on di-methox. others are giving full strength, means 1cc per ten pound for at least a week if there is a problem with coccidosis.

8. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

For prevention of coccidiosis in your kids, it is much easier to creep feed with a feed that is laced with Ruminsein. Also, keep a Ruminsein block in with your kids at all times until after weaning. Hey, that is wayyyyy easier than messing with the Dimethoxx. Make sure you don't have this available to all goats all year though. You don't want a resistance built up. Also, Ruminsein or other brands of the same exact active ingredient are the only ones that don't deplete Thiamine in a goat. The ever popular Decoxx depletes the Thiamine and can lead to goat polio.

9. Milking Mom

Milking Mom COTTON EYED DOES

Dimethox 40%

The formula I use for prevention is 1 cc/10# body weight the first day, 1/2 cc/10# the next 4 days. This is repeated every 21 days.

Treating an actual case of cocci is 1 cc/10# days 1-5. No step down dose on this.

10. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

I second this and what susanne says too. I think the other dose my goat gave is not gonna be strong enough unless you live in a Dry area.

11. Caprice Acres

Well, now I know. I don't usually as my vet because I don't trust them. Thats why I come to this forum. I haven't used it on kids yet, and planned to ask about it near kidding season which should start for me with my new dairy doe this spring... But hadn't gotten around to it yet. I'm pretty sure it came from this forum, though.