Help in choosing plants

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by BlessedMom, May 20, 2005.

1. BlessedMom

BlessedMom Well-Known Member

Hi all;
    I am in desperate need of advice.
    We are in the process of starting our homestead. We are also in the process of getting our foster care license for children that have some special problems.
    Currently, we have 2 girls that we are in the process of adopting. Our oldest daughter is going to be 20 this year. She has Fetal Alcohol effect and other delays. She still has one more year of high school.
    She loves to to learn about our animals and to do gardening etc. I am looking for things that would be easy for her and our other children to plant and care for. I don' t have a ton of money (4 kids LOL) to buy things with.
    What would you suggest for success? The nursery's are soo high around here!
    I did grow tomatoes and a few squash from seed.
    Right now we are a family of 6, but we could grow to a family of 10 in a few months.
    We want this to be theraputic for these kids. I know how much our new daughter loves to garden and plant. I want to also show her how to freeze and can.

Thanks!

2. MelissaW

MelissaW Well-Known Member

First of all, congratulations on your growing family! You are doing a beautiful thing!

Now, would you like to grow strictly vegitables, or flowers and herbs as well? Green beans (both pole and bush) are really easy to grow, and easy to freeze. The yellow or purple ones are especially nice for kids because they are easier to see when picking. We always have fun with potatoes because digging them up in the fall is like a treasure hunt! They store well too. Squash is also a good choice. The seeds (like beans) are big and easy for kids to handle when planting, and they grow fast and come in so many pretty shapes and colors. They might get a kick out of some pumpkins and gourds too. All of these things can be grown from seed (except potatoes. Just get some seed potatoes, or cut up a store bought one and plant chunks with good eyes) which is fairly inexpensive.

For flowers, nasturtiums, morning glories and sunflowers have nice big seeds, and are big and brilliant which kids love.

Once you get a few things started, perhaps you could start a plant and seed swap. I started one at my sons school. Everyone brings any perrenial divisions or extra seeds that they don't need. Then we trade for the things we want. That way, everyone saves money and has a good time socializing.

Good luck with your garden, and enjoy it with your lovely family this summer!

3. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

It's a great thing you're doing, Blessed Mom!

One thing we're doing that just makes alot of sense to me is growing sweet peas, pole beans and things like that up the side of the fence. We fenced the garden to protect the veggies from the chickens we free range. Flowers and such are good too if you start the seeds, planting them, watching them come out of the ground and then growing into bursts of color!

If you can get your hands on an incubator too, the young and older kids alike will get a kick out of hatching eggs! It's amazing how they grow and develop. You have so many breeds and then, you can get eggs too!!

Good luck with your kids and have a fun summer! The rain will stop soon, won't it????

:p

4. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member

Good for you!

I don't know what other ages you are going to end up with, but it's been my experience that kids can do a lot in the garden. My son is out there with me a lot, and it's a good time to visit also. When he was real small, it was easier for him to do plants, but now he's bigger. You could plant more plants from seed and have the kids make sure that they stay damp, etc. I would also put small seeds in old spice bottles for sprinking in wide rows. I use that one for me, too!

Onion plants are easy for kids to handle and cheap in bundles. Bean seeds, ditto. My son and I spent many an evening recently standing in the garden, nattering and eating peas right off of the vine, lol. He's good at shelling the ones that aren't snow peas, too. He's also closer to the ground and is my squash spotter when that time gets here.

good luck!
    hollym

5. momofmany

momofmany Dayenu farms

colo-Dado! As my enthusiatic 4 yo calls it.
    Don't forget to get that sunflower fort up! You plant the mammoth sunflowers, The sell them at wal-mart (eeeek the w word... I know :) ) for 10 cents a package.
    You sew them in a blocky u shape to make three walls, you also plant shorter sunflower varieties to form the walls. Green beans and morinig glories grow up the sunflowers and when they get tall enough you can string them at the top to make a bit of a canopy.
    My kids love mild radishes, and spinach is a nice big seed too, and mild tasting when it is baby spinach.

Good for you! These children are so fortunate!