Help identify this snake please

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by TxCloverAngel, Apr 20, 2006.

1. TxCloverAngel

TxCloverAngel Happiness is Homemade

Found him in the hen house.. he is big! 5 feet long and had 3 eggs inside. thanks in advance.
    click on pic for a larger view

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. terrythetaod

terrythetaod Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell from the pic... but (and I may sound crazy) it looks like a Burmese python.

3. Country Doc

Country Doc Well-Known Member

Gray rat snake. Not poison. I suggest being careful since a picture is not as good as looking in person at a snake and I could be wrong.

4. TxCloverAngel

Well.. he wont be bothering us anymore. :) he is now dead. but I have yet to find ONE of any snake lol I'm gonna keep my eyes open for more.. altho this fella was so big he would have been hard to miss!

5. TedH71

TedH71 Well-Known Member Supporter

Needs better lighting and a side photo but doesn't look like a rat (aka corn) snake. Head and neck are simply too different. Could be a python...but do they eat eggs?

6. Twogun

Twogun Zone 5

These pictures are of juvenile rat snakes. I have found them in and around houses, probably feeding on the plentiful anoles and geckos found around neighborhoods here in San Antonio. Notice the blotched pattern. This pattern usually fades as the snakes grow, with the adults possessing only drab blotches. The blotched pattern is what causes people to think they have found a western diamondback rattlesnake.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...&svnum=10&hl=en&lr=&newwindow=1&safe=off&sa=G

7. Windy_jem

Windy_jem Well-Known Member Supporter

Poor snake....
    I would gladly share a few eggs with a snake for all the work they do on rodent control around my place...

8. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I'm saying Rat Snake.

[​IMG]

big rockpile

9. TxCloverAngel

I agree with you windy... at least when I know what kind of snake it is for sure.

And I usually do. I have lots of speckled king snakes around whom I love because they eat rodents and other snakes....

But with 5 kids.. I cannot risk having one around that I am not 100% sure of the type of snake they are and level of danger they pose.

10. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Looks like a Burmese Python to me also... might have been someone's pet or ditched. That is a shame :(

11. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Well-Known Member

yep, looks like a python... but also kynda looks like a bull snake

bull snakes, tho extremely aggressive, kill and eat rattle snakes...

12. TxCloverAngel

a neighbor just came over and he said "chicken snake" geesh! rat snake, corn snake, chicken snake... are they the same snake just called different names? or three dif types?

13. mamajohnson

mamajohnson Knitting Rocks! Supporter

We just found a snake like this in our hen house...
    Sorta a crazy story... My son went to collect eggs and nearly broke the door off the coop trying to get out (screaming SNAKE the whole time lol)
    well, the funny part is, I had stopped getting eggs, and couldnt figure out why... had been looking for a snake and hadn't seen one.. so a week went by, I was only getting one or two eggs a day (verses about 7 to 9) so, I figured they had just stopped laying, as I had added to the flock... I put out a golf ball in each nest box, to inspire some egg laying...
    ok, now the funny part... the snake (which turned out to be 6' long) had eaten 2 golf balls - crawled between the nest box and the wall, through a space just big enough for a snake to squeeze through, and eaten another golf ball... :rolleyes: Needless to say, he couldnt move forward or backward... Well, DH finally got the snake to spit up one of the golf balls and got him out from behind the nest boxes... may he rest in peace... lol
    I have been told if you find a snake there are two more, and I dont know if that is old wives tales, but last year we found 3 water moccasins up around our hen house and garden within a week of each other.... the difference in them is slight in the coloring, however they are very very aggressive (chicken snakes arent as aggressive as moccasins)

14. Windy_jem

Trust me...this is a rat snake..not a Burmese Python!!! lol
    (I can't see the original pic, but if it's the picture that Big Rock Pile has posted, then it's a ratsnake.)

Tx CloverAngel..I agree with you, it's better to be safe when you have kids around. It's always better to ask and play it safe where snakes are concerned.

15. Windy_jem

And yes...they DO call rat snakes, chicken snakes, corns snakes, egg snakes, etc...they are all in ther same family of snakes.

16. Windy_jem

Mamajohnson...snakes are solitary animals....they don't have "friends" that they hang out with...

17. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

In Missouri where I lived Copperheads most always are found in pairs. I know this from personal experience. :cowboy:

18. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................It seems that there are(afew) Irresponsible owners of these Boas , Pythons , and maybe even Anacondas in Florida and probably in other southern states as well are simply releasing their "pets" into the swamps where they seem to thrive , grow and most likely reproduce ! From that meager start , it doesn't take long to figureout that the "foreigners" are going to start moving West like "Slithering Pioneers" and inhabitating new territory as long as the climate suits their Lifestyle . So , encountering a Python along the Tx\Ok border doesn't seem farout as one would think . fordy... :shrug:

19. Windy_jem

Snakes will hibernate together but don't seek out another snake to be with.
    They just end up where the food is most plentiful, so you will see more of them in the same place.