Help ID a snake?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by turtlehead, Jun 2, 2006.

1. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

I think this is a black rat snake but I'm not positive. There were FOUR by our back door a little while ago.

[​IMG]

More pics are on my blog if this one isn't enough.

2. Paula

Paula Well-Known Member

Chicken snake. I think people also call them Rat snakes. Do you have chickens? The snakes eat eggs and baby chicks. I always kill them because they've scared me to death a few times when I've reached into a nest and grabbed snake, or peeped into a nest and come face to face with one. Ick.
    They are beneficial in that they eat rodents, but I figure I have dogs and cats for that.

3. Hummingbird

Hummingbird Well-Known Member

Black snake, rat snake. Good snake (if there IS such a thing - shudder, shudder!)

Nance

4. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

you can sprinkle mothball crystals and sulfar around where you don't want them to go and it should keep them away from your house.

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow, he looks really long!

Rat/Black/Chicken snakes won't hurt you. If you find one in your nestbox just relocate it. From what I understand they roam a 1/4 mile area so if you relocate them 1/4 a mile away maybe they won't come back. Here's the rat snake my hubby found recently in our duck's nestbox. Hubby relocated him:

[​IMG]

6. davaseco

davaseco HERE chickie-chick-chick

We call them rat snakes here. A local-yocal told me that if you have a rat snake around the posionous ones will stay away. I can handle a rat snake...it's the copperheads and timber rattlers that make me scream eek. Haven't had any problems with one in the chicken coop. But I'd gladly sacrifice a few eggs if it will help keep the bad snakes away from my babies.
    just my $.02

7. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Looks like a black rat snake. They aren't harmful. They won't bother you unless you poke at it or try to pick it up. Nice snake to have around as they will keep away the copperheads and other undesirable things.

8. turtlehead

Do we have chickens? Umm... we got our very first batch of 25 day old chicks on Tuesday! :D They're in a cardboard box in the greenhouse, and the greenhouse is not very secure - I see skinks in there all the time. So I guess I better keep a good eye on those babies.

That's weird that folks say rat snakes keep copperheads/poisonous snakes away. I read that rat snakes hibernate with timber rattlers and copperheads. :shrug:
    Link to source

There was another place that mentioned timber rattlers but I can't find it now.

Three of these were definitely big guys. We only got to see the head of the fourth. I think snakes are cool.

Thanks for all the input! I feel better knowing he's a good snake :)

9. emulkahi1

emulkahi1 Well-Known Member

I would concur turtlehead...looks like a black rat snake. They can look menacing because they are often so long/big, but I've always known them to be harmless neighbors (though I've never had chickens to worry about, so can't give feedback on that...). They will sometimes rattle their tails if they feel threatened, in imitation of the rattlesnake...and if their tail is in dry leaves, they might even SOUND like a rattler. Just something to be aware of so that it doesn't surprise or alarm you if/when you ever see one do that.

Erin

10. FourDeuce

FourDeuce Five of Seven Supporter

There is also a black king snake that hangs around, but they have a bad habit of eating baby chickens and guineas. I had one that was more than 5 feet long and I tolerated him being around until he killed his second batch of baby guineas. I took him for a ride then. :nono:

11. turtlehead

Erin! Good to "see" you :) I read about the rattle - pretty weird. They are supposed to release a stinky musky odor when you poke at them, too. Lots of defenses.

FourDeuce, I'd get rid of any snake that ate a SECOND batch of babies, too!

12. emulkahi1

emulkahi1 Well-Known Member

Hey Turtlehead! Good to "see" you too :) !! Saw your post over on TMEN too, but had already responded here. I second your thought that snakes are cool...Guess it comes from a childhood spent catching garter snakes and the like. Sounds like you have a healthy population on your place there, so it is a good thing you like them, eh :p ?

Erin