Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So only had Dexter cow & calf 1 week come Friday, we have went from her being scared & shy to now being very 'up in my face' when I come in, I have 2 goats in with her & her baby been fine until last few days she has become more social but of course wanting fed? How do I nip this, I'm totally new at this & don't want to get hurt or my goats! She was upset this evening because I hadn't fed her yet & started clawing the ground like a bull..I been just walking away from her & saying No but it's getting a lil scary because feeding time she runs to me & goats are there also wanting fed. I really need help before she gets out of hand with any techniques to get her under control before one of us get hurt & I want to be able to love on her like I do my goats eventually!
Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My suggestion: Since I know absolutely ZERO about goats, I'd move the goats to a separate area. Feed the cow/calf pair in a separate confined area, just stand nearby (outside the fence) without threatening her space. Talk to her, don't try to touch her or anything until she accepts your presence. It may take some time as she is protecting her calf (which, really, is a good thing). Most animals do things on their time frame, not ours. Give it time.
Thanks, I'm not totally new to goats, but yes new, (April 15 is when I got her & babies) but now cows, yes other than a kid & teen was raised w 1 cow, lots of goats & 3 Shetland ponies along w other farm animals, but I'm in my mid 50's now & have lost all that knowledge!
I have electric fence so no way of putting feed on outside, fortunately they don't come close enough to it for me to make this work & I want to spend as much time w her as I can, I believe she will do well if I just understand how to do the right thing & not wrong from the start, that's why I'm asking..just trying to eventually have 1 big happy family I'm hoping

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The chances you can ever turn the cow and her calf into behaving more like a puppy just can't happen. They're not wired that way and that's the reason why I wouldn't let my hubs put cattle on our place. Just too dangerous. A horse will do everything in its power not to trample you. Not bovines. They will plow right through you.

Your goats are very different and nowhere near as dangerous but they are still dangerous if they have their horns. They like their humans pretty good. Cows could care less, they just want their food and will trample you for it.
I'm beginning to realize this & wonder if I should have just stuck with the goats unfortunately 😥

1 - 4 of 4 Posts