Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my son just got these lambs last night. The one I am pretty sure has white muscle. My problem is I need to tube feed her and I have never done this. Does anyone know of a web site with PICTURES????

·
Registered
170 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi guys, Thanks for the info. The lamb didn't make it. 3:30 AM she was fine drank her bottle. At 8 AM she wouldn't take a bottle and was listless. by 11 AM dead. I had given her BOSE & kept her warm but nothing seemed to work. Poor Baby! :waa: I HATE when animals die!!! :( Thanks Again!

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
For future reference tube feedign is not that hard. I use aquarium tubing the soft blue Walmart stuff if they are premie or particularly delecate otherwise the harder clear stuff. 95% of the time it will go down correctly. Measure outside to see how much should be in! You feel the front lower area forward but between the legs for the tube. If its there your past the lungs. Feel it before you pass the tube so you'll know the dif. White muscle disease problems respond well to a BOSE injections so I'm wondering if that was the problem. Have some Vit. B on hand, lambs can run out of B fast and need it to metabolise glucose (food)

·
Registered
67 Posts
mblouse0813 said:
Hi guys, Thanks for the info. The lamb didn't make it. 3:30 AM she was fine drank her bottle. At 8 AM she wouldn't take a bottle and was listless. by 11 AM dead. I had given her BOSE & kept her warm but nothing seemed to work. Poor Baby! :waa: I HATE when animals die!!! :( Thanks Again!
I know this doesn't help at all at this point but...from my experience tubing lambs...at 8 AM when she was listless and wouldn't take the bottle was the time to get the tube into her. I've read so many descriptions of how to tube feed and, quite frankly, was scared to death at first to try it. If a lamb is listless that tube needs to go in and some milk needs to get into the stomach quickly. That doesn't mean that the lamb will be better because it may have been another problem altogether!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I get a catheter tube from the supply room at my local hospital and attach it to a catheter syringe, minus the plunger, or you can
buy the unit from http://www.premier1supplies.com/ or other supplie catalogs. . I don't feel comfortable using the plunger but
rather let it go in by gravity.
Before putting it down lamb, measure off on the tube the distance from the mouth to the stomach and mark with a permanent
marker. Put the tube down, attach the syringe and listen for air, to insure you are not in a lung. Than pour in 1-2 ounces warm
milk. I sometimes blow on the syringe to get it all down, especially if its thick colostrum. Than before you pull it out, bend the
tubing just below the the syringe and pull quickly. The bending keeps any liquid still in the tube from accidently running into the
lungs as you pull it out. Than I hold the lamb for a few seconds on my shoulder to make sure the liquid is all down, sort of like
burping a baby. :)
If I have lambs born on really cold days and the mother is a first timer, I routinely tube them right after birth.

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
BOSE is a Selenium and vit E suppliment. The Vitamin E is needed for the animal to absorb the mineral selenium.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts