Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We usually get compost at our local waste mgmt here in town but they've run out. I'm midway through getting the garden going. We plan on composting for next year but are in a bind for this year.

anyone know of any other place locally to get compost. I still need about 2 cubic yards.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Locate a local horse boarding facility. The ones local to me charge a nominal fee of ~$5.00 to load the back of a truck (pays for them to start the tractor up). A goat, llama/alpaca ranch will also have mounds of manure. You might find a dairy in your area. Most of the manure is old and already composted. Find a rabbitry it doen't need to be composted!

·
Registered
415 Posts
If you get here before Saturday you can have all the rabbit manure you want before the master gardners take it!! Actually we have quite a deal, they help clean the barn for the rabbit manure! They also rotatill my garden space for it!
If we were closer you could have it!
Denise

·
Super Moderator
13,437 Posts
If you got non composted leaves, break em up, add baitworms and plant in the piles. The plants and worms will compost the pile as it grows and they multiply. Add a little manure to make it tasty to them.

·
Registered
6,977 Posts
Pcdreams,
Could you tell us about the compost you get at the waste management?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Someone suggested finding a horse boarding outfit.

Don't use horse manure in your garden unless you really LOVE weeding. :haha:

Horses, unlike cows, are not ruminants (having multiple stomachs for completely digesting roughage). Weed seeds that are in hay will not be completely digested in a horse's stomach, and comes out in their manure. Horse manure must be composted itself before it can be safely used in a garden.

Stick to cattle manure or sheep, goat, etc, even rabbits. Anything that chews the cud.

Farmer Don

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beeman said:
Pcdreams,
Could you tell us about the compost you get at the waste management?

it's made from yard waste from greene county residents. No Sludge or anything like that. it's $12.50 cu/yrd.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts