help!I nead ideas on how to save up money for college,

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Rose N'Gideon, Jan 2, 2007.

1. Rose N'Gideon

Rose N'Gideon Well-Known Member

Help!!! :help: how can I save up money for college....from my home! I want to go for four years...I have been looking into grants ect. but if that don't work...I'll nead to save up a lot of money! I looking for some ideas to make some money. :) Can you guys help!? :)

2. hisenthlay

hisenthlay a.k.a. hyzenthlay

Without a little more information, it's hard to give advice--what do you do now, what skills do you have to work with, do you have to be at home all the time, etc.? I will say, though, that you should probably be able to get government loans to go to college--Perkins, Stafford, etc. The interest rates have been very good lately (at least as of a couple years ago), and you will likely have better ability to pay them off when you finish college, depending on what you are planning to study.

If you don't need to be at home all the time, you might want to look into temping--I got some administrative assignments through a temp agency (Adecco) when I was in school that paid around $14 an hour, if I recall correctly. Also, if you did very well on your admissions tests, you could apply to teach SAT prep through Kaplan, Princeton Review, or similar companies. They have a very high hourly rate (around $20, if memory serves), and it's good because you can schedule to teach for as few hours per week as you want, and many classes are on weekends/evenings.

On a different note, depending on where you live, pet sitting and dog walking can produce good income. I've heard of people making over $100 a day just walking the dogs of people in their area who work all day. Farm sitting or horse sitting could also be good, if you have the skills and live in the right area. I know plenty of people around here who are desperate for someone to come in and care for their horses so they can go away for a few days, and would pay a pretty penny for it.

Plenty of other things out there, but it's hard to say without knowing more about your situation.
    Good luck!

3. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

without knowing how old you are or how long you have to earn/save money it's kind of hard to give real detailed suggestions.

I'm going to guess you are in your teens? In that case, ways of earning money are a bit more limited, but the number one suggestion I have is to be willing to take on odd jobs. Such as:

Babysitting

Dog sitting/animal care for neighbors and friends when they need to go away for a weekend or vacation

lawn care/snow shoveling/leaf raking for any neighbors who would like to hire this done

If you have a driver's license and access to a vehicle, you might be able to find elderly shut-ins who would hire you to run errands or do their grocery shopping for them.

If you have sewing skills you might be able to do alterations/mending for people or even find someone who would hire you to make them clothes.

Just remember, every little bit you can set aside helps. If you have money to invest right now and at least a year before college, look into certificates of deposit (cds) at your bank/credit union. They pay higher dividends than a normal savings account, but your money will be tied up for at least a year (depends on the length of the cd you invest in)

4. Rose N'Gideon

Rose N'Gideon Well-Known Member

I'd like to earn as much money for my tuition as possible in the next 3 to 4 years. I don't want big student loans.

no I don't :help:

5. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

Don't overlook the savings that can be had by getting your basics done at a community college and then switching to a bigger college or university to 'finish' your four year degree with the technical/specific classes you will take at the end of your schooling. My dh is a mechanical engineer, and he saved tons of $$ by getting all his basics at community collge and then only going to the engineering school for the last two years of his degree.

6. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Take out all the college loans you need and get a BS degree in nursing. The hospital you get a job with after graduation will pay for all of your student loans.

7. Betho

Betho Well-Known Member

I remember thinking of this... but I woulda made a horrible nurse. It's probably the best field to get into, though. ANd if you aren't tied down in any way you can do the travelling nurse thing and make tons of dough... my sister is a nurse and did the travelling nurse thing for I think 3 months and made over $32000 just in those months.

8. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Are you near a bus line? Do you have neighbors? Do you have friends that you can car-pool with?

I have seen a lot of people get through college without student loans, but it is hard to be specific without knowing more.

Let see, now. Every school with dorms USED to have "Student Advisors", who were available to deal with problems after hours. They would handle problems like loud parties and after-hour plumbing leaks.

They were paid by receiving a free place to live.

Non-typist used to hire people to do their papers at $1 a page, but I think that more people type, now.

Transcriptionist, perhaps?

Tutoring elementary school kids?

A co-worker used to commute by cab. The wages paid for the cab plus enough to live on. That will only pay if the commute is a short one.

Have you chosen a major or a college yet?

9. wildwanderer

wildwanderer Momma, Goatherder etc....

The goverment sponsors IDA they are an savings account where money is matched the one here in Harrison is a 1to1 match so every dollar I save they match the same. I have to attend some budgeting and finacial seminars but it is worth it, contact your workforce center or school finacial aid office to find out if one is available in your area.

If you volunteer a year with Americorps you get $4725 in the form of an educational grant - they pay you (at poverty level) and you spend a year helping out some in a community in need.
    Take care -Terri

10. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Some additional information will help us help you.

How old are you? Are you still living at home with parents? If so, you may want to advertise yourself among your family friends and church members as a babysitter, gardener, or house cleaner who needs a ride to and from jobs. People who know you might be happy to do that for you. Bank all of it. Don't buy a car unless you must. I didnt' buy a car until I left college. I lived on campus and always had jobs within walking or bus distance. I saved a ton of money that way.

We are people who went to school without taking loans out. We worked many jobs. In the summer, often two jobs to make enough money to do this. It wasn't easy, but we are soooooo much better off financially for this. I made more money as a waitress during college than I did for the first several jobs I had after college.

Ask your high school counselor for ideas on how to finance your education. They will often have a night for parents to attend that tells how to pay for college.

If you just cannot afford much, try to live at home and go to a local community college for two year, then finish at a 4 yr college. Make sure your credits will transfer though.

11. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

where ya at( why isnt that in your header under location?)How old are you? what do you know? What do you like to do? what obligations do you have?

12. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Wasn't too long ago I remember reading a poster in front of a Recruiter's office that promised $20,000 (or was it $40,000) scholarship to anyone joining any branch of the Armed Services.

13. roughingit

roughingit knitwit

I'd be careful with that one. Read the fine print something fierce. In the Oregon National Guard they pay 100% tuition, plus GI Bill, *but* if you look at the fine print it says while money lasts. They run out of money every year....and because of the way they pay it out (after your grades have been received), there isn't much you can do to get yours in first and if they run out, you suddenly have a very. large. bill. Go on, ask me how I know....

Other services might be better about this, but do your research. (Not to mention I wouldn't advise anyone join only for college money anyhow, join because you are idealistic...or really don't have many other options)

I do second the Ameri*Corps option if you aren't a homemaker (they do not care how old you are) and there are a ton of options if you are a youth. Can't help ya much without knowing which applies to ya though. Are you in highschool or are your kids in highschool maybe and you are looking to go to school when they get out or what?

14. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree with Kris. There are many people who will brag about the university they went to for their Bac, but forget to mention their assoc is from a community college. If you know what area you want to go into, a community college, because they only have you for two years, is more likely to give you hands on experience in that area.

As for making money, look for something in the area that interests you. A vet's office is more likely to hire you if you are planning on being a veterinarian, for instance. Otherwise, if you can find construction work, that usually pays real well.

If your high school offers career programs, look there. You could learn to be a beautician, get licensed at 18, and do hair. You can do hair in your dorm, and work at a hair salon during the summer.

You also want to look at where you are putting this money you are earning. If you are going to be earning over the next four years, start looking at investments. Before you apply for any grant money, though, turn all of your money into cash. You will be penalized for having money saved.

15. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

Like others have said more info would be helpfull. However here are a few suggestions.

If your in a safe community, Walking or riding a bike would help. Here's the thing though, you would have to dilligently place what you normally pay for gas in an account. Doesn't seem like much, but $20 a week +/- would add up after a while.

In the same concept. decide what luxury (that you pay for on a regular basis, i.e. fast food, c.d's) you can do without. figurewhat you normally pay out in a month. place that amount in your savings, and skip that luxury.

Don't knock spare change. adds up slowly, but it adds up.

get a sponsor. No kidding here. Speak with a family member, and make it absolutely clear that any money gifted would be for college only. Ask them to at least match what you put into your savings each month or yearly. Not everybody is willing to do this. My Grandma actually offered to do it for me with the knowledge that it would be considered my inheritance.

Sell space on ebay. O.K. now I'm grasping for straws and being silly but I've seen it done. Offer to wear a sponsors logo, paint the logo onto your car, or hang a banner on your home(check with codes and laws first). Space goes to the highest bidder

Depending on what your pay is, you could try a small scale "grain of rice method". This involves dubbling the amount you save each paycheck. For instance, the first paycheck you place $20 in the savings. 2nd paycheck, $40. 3rd,$80 and so on. In theory, by your 12th paycheck you'll need to place in savings $12,160 (and you would have saved about $27,400 in six months). Now if you could do that you would'nt need to save for college right? ;-). However , if you just did it within 4 paychecks...starting over after the 4th, you'll save $600 in 4 months. Again a slow method unless your Donald Trump, but in time it would take a bit of a bite out of student loans.

16. via media

via media Tub-thumper

It's good you're getting a jump on things and looking ahead but don't discount working while you go to school.

While still in high school, I worked a part time job during the school year and up to three part time jobs during the summers.

After starting university, I was a Resident Assistant in a dorm, which gave me free room and board, as well as flexible hours and I could study while on duty when things were slow.

As mentioned, community college classes are much, much cheaper. Find out what transfers into a four year plan and take advantage of this.

Later, I found full time work with a company that had a tuition reimbursement program. As long as I made a C or better in my classes, they paid tuition, books and fees. I had to go nights/weekends/summers and it took me longer to get through school but I graduated with a B.S. and not one penny of debt.

Good luck to you!

/VM

17. vegascowgirl

vegascowgirl Try Me

Forgot something. Not sure where you live. However, I thought I'd tell you about a college in my part of the woods. The College of the Ozarks is also known as "Hard Work U". It has no tuition. all classes are free. Whats the catch? You work for your studies. They have a store, a resturaunt, stables, dairy, and more that you work in to pay your keep. They have studies which range from animal husbandry to ferenzics. This college is located in Branson,MO. and is quite good. You might do some research and find out if there is anything simular to it in your part of the world.

18. Zipporah

Zipporah Well-Known Member

Go to the library.They have books that list all the grants and scholarships available.You may qualify for something you don't know about.

19. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

http://fastweb.com/

And make as high as you can on ACT/SAT. Some state schools have an ACT score level that will get you a 4 year tution scholarship.

ACT 29 would get you a 4 year scholarship at Jacksonville State University, in Alabama in 1997....

Check out your state universities.

Angie

20. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Study hard get good grades and score well on exams if you're able (do all you can to be able!). THis will net you scholarships at many colleges perhaps not as high a level as you would like to be at with such grades and scores but those ones won't give you such good scholarships.

Decide with your parents strategies for getting scholarships including needbased if there's any chance (likely unless they earn over $200K/year or have over $400K in savings). Depending on your values you might decide earning a lot and paying it all for college is not such a good idea as helping your parents earn a lot and them not paying quite so much of it towards your college bills. We even toyed with retiring at the right time to decrease our income to increase DD13's financial aid.

Many colleges offer needbased scholarships and loans- look up financial aid on google.