Help!! I have a hawk!!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Nov 11, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I was going out to get the second batch of eggs, and there he was, sitting in my driveway. I think the dog might have nailed him. The dog has a couple moose legs she's chewing on and I think this bird was trying to take one. He's injured,but I don't see blood or anything wrong with his wings. What do I do with him now??
    I have him contained in a cat carrier.

2. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

In Fla we have wildlife rehabors who are licensed to help injured raptors. Call the local Audobon Society and they will give you the rehabors phone number & someone will come get the hawk. Try to keep the dog, etc, from bothering it until then, but do not get too close as their talons and beak can injure you seriously.

3. jackie c

Thanks Jan. I'm going to call them now.

4. jackie c

I couldn't find the autobon, but found a guy who's helping. He told me to give it some raw meat in about 1/2 inch chunks in a dish with some water, if he eats, I should offer more later. Then let him out to see if he'll fly away.He said this bird is probably a rough legged hawk that migrates through this area from the arctic, and that it has no fear of anything. The bird might just be hungry and exhausted (I hope so) I thought I would post this info for anyone else in this situation.

5. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Keep us updated as to how he's doing.

6. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

I don't know the rules up there but down here you must report it to the conservation dept. right away. They will come and get it and take it to one of their rehab places. It is ilegal to keep one here.

7. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Keep us posted--we have Raptor Rehab Centers here. Try a zoo if you can't find anyone else. They often know what's available.

8. jackie c

Well my visitor is free and flown south. :dance: I'm so glad he's OK. I know now what to do next time. I'll just keep the dogs in and offer him some food and water till he's rested up, had his fill, and moves on. :p

9. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Take a picture of him. Hopefully hes just a little dazed and confused. Birds are such smart creatures. I just watched a documenatary on some raptors that made a nest in NYC. Almost made me cry when the little ones finally took flight (they had no where to practice...)

10. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

way to go jackie. I bet that makes your day. :yeeha:

11. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................You , did the right thing Jackie . I'm sure glad Hawks don't Know How to "Rap" like our Crows here in Texas Do . ...fordy... :eek: :)