Help! Help! Help!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by SmokedCow, Jun 19, 2006.

1. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

Hey Yall...Okay here my deal. My mini lop doe gave birth to 5 LOVELY babies about a month ago.. Well...they made it to the stage where their ears start flopping, and they are go getters, and just cute as buttons....Then one day 2 died, and then about a week later, another died. SO now i have 2 what i thought were.."fatsos".. well they are loseing weight, and when i feed them, i feed them like theres still 5 babies and a mom...What should i do? I would surely hate to lose them over somthing stupid...Thanks everyone.
    AJ

2. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Next time one dies, do an autopsy...if the lungs are really bright red, you'll have to begin immunizing for that viral hemmhoragic thing...France got hit badly, a few years ago, I lost 66 in ten days...it came from imported Chinese hares.

3. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

This is not an option in the U.S. There is no vaccine sold for VHD.

4. SmokedCow

Oh interesting..so what exactly is it called? Could they have just staved? I'm sure shes not producing that much milk. its been a while since i've raise rabbits, prolly a good 5 years. Thanks abunch
    AJ

5. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Did it suddenly get hot there? How are their poops? Regular or soft and mushy? Any other sympthoms? Are they thin all over or you can feel a backbone with a round stomach?

Me, personally, would try to worm them and see if they improve. I usually use a cat wormer that looks and smells like caramel. I believe it's call Dr Tom's wormer.

6. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Why the heck not??!! Shall I send you some?

7. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Have you checked the doe for possible mastitis? This could also be the reason for not enough milk, and since the kits are still with the dam, they continue to attempt to nurse on the infected teats.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/
    Chairperson, ARBA Commercial Department Committee

8. dlwelch

Are you saying that you are NOT free choice feeding a doe w/litter?
    Exactly how many ounces of feed is being provided?

If she isn't fed enough, that's a good probability!

Reply to susieM: Thanks for the offer...but I don't need the vaccine.

9. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Could also be coccidiosis or another like disease, but they would have the runs usually. They don't always, but the "wasting away" sounds like it.

10. SmokedCow

Did it suddenly get hot there?

At this time it was on and off hot, cold, cold, hot, rainy...I was thinking that coudl have got them..not sure.

How are their poops? Regular or soft and mushy?
    They are like regulare rabbit poo-poo, "co-co puffs"

Any other sympthoms? Are they thin all over or you can feel a backbone with a round stomach?

No, just ribs, the two left are fat on and off...

Me, personally, would try to worm them and see if they improve. I usually use a cat wormer that looks and smells like caramel. I believe it's call Dr Tom's wormer.

How much do u give them to worm? Same as a cat? I'm not sure....we dont worm our cats around here...we really should tho...

Have you checked the doe for possible mastitis? This could also be the reason for not enough milk, and since the kits are still with the dam, they continue to attempt to nurse on the infected teats.
    No- To be honest, this never crossed my mind, what should i look for? how will i know?

Are you saying that you are NOT free choice feeding a doe w/litter?
    Exactly how many ounces of feed is being provided?

Thats what i'm saying...I'm not sure the oz as well..i'll check on it tonight, get back to you...what should they be getting? I guess i did just fill a red chick feeder full..then switched to haning feeder. But i'll check tonight when i go do chores. And im not saying shes not being fed enough, she get hay three times a week. BUT...when she had 5 mouths on the tit, then im sure they were drinking alot.

So back to my second question..what is this VHD? AND...is there a "lethal" gene in mini lops? I think i read somewhere that there was in other rabbits...

Thanks everyone.
    AJ

11. x_xbirdie

x_xbirdie Well-Known Member

The "Lethal" gene you are asking about is the gene "dd" or double dwarfism. I've never heard of it in mini lops, i usually happens in Netherland Dwarves, mini-rexes, and holland lop.

12. SmokedCow

AHH...i didnt know that.

dlwelch: They are getting just under 7 oz of feed...To much? To little?
    Thanks
    AJ

13. dlwelch

I don't raise small breeds (only NZ and CALS) but why have you
    been limiting feed to a doe with a litter?

7 oz. of feed for a doe with 5 babies? Perhaps someone with ML's
    can jump in here but that certainly doesn't seem like enough feed
    to keep a doe and 5 four week old kits alive.

What is VHD?

Do an internet search for:

Rabbit Calicivirus Disease (Viral hemorrhagic disease)

Linda Welch
    Texas Rabbit Connection

14. Rosarybeads

She should have full, unlimited feed from pretty much the moment the babies are born. 7 ounces may be enough for her only, but definitely not for the babies too. It sounds as if they are simply starving away.

When the babies are born, you can slowly increase the amount she has, for instance, if she normally gets 6 ounces, give her 9, and the next day 12, etc... then when she's up to her limit, just keep the feeder full and available all the time.

15. SmokedCow

Wow...i had no idea....but then again, it did work while ago. But its just her and the two babies, who will be weaned here this weekend. So then what? keep her at 7? What about them? Free-Feeder? Thanks a ton! I'll keep this in mind if i do decied to re-breed her. I guess that rabbits are just a side hobby, since we are more into cattle, sheep and hogs. And now that my father had a qudrople bypass, i think we'll be having to get rid of them. Sad. but they dont pay the bills. Thanks, and i will google it. I wasnt sure what it was called. All i had to work with really was viral hemmhoragic thing, and VHD. haha. Thanks! Your help is greatly appreciated
    AJ

16. Rosarybeads

Leave the babies on her until they are plump again, and then once they look good, wean them. Cut back her food to the amount that you would normally give her when she isn't in production (after you wean, that is!). For the first day, you can give her half that amount if you want to play it absolutely safe, just to make sure she doesn't get mastitis from the sudden change. When you wean the babies, give them full feed until they get a bit older and are more stabilized. Once (if) you separate the babies, then give them the normal amount per rabbit. When you have multiple rabbits together, you have to give them more feed than normal, because one may pig out to begin with and eat over his alloted amount, and the other one may nibble throughout the day, but won't have food later, etc... or one may be agressive about his food, and the other meek.

For a mini lop, I am thinking we gave them about a cup of food a day, but I could be slightly off there, I just remember giving them two measuring cups, but I can't recall if it was two 1/3 cups or two 1/2 cups. Sorry I'm not much more help!

17. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

What's the nutritional content of your feed? How much protein? Youngsters growing that fast should be on a feed that's 16% - 18% protein. I'd suggest a feed like Manna Pro, Dumor, Blue Seal, Purina, etc.

For the record, Viral Hemorrhagic Disease/Rabbit Calicivirus is not a major problem in the US. We have had a couple of outbreaks that were contained and eradicated. So while VHD has the potential to become a serious problem and does need to be monitored, it's not a risk for the average rabbit breeder yet. There is a vaccine available in the UK, but the FDA has not approved it for use here. For more information on VHD, may I suggest the Professional Rabbit Meat Association website at www.prma.org or ShowBunny at www.showbunny.com.