Help, Help, Help.

Discussion in 'Plant and Tree Identification' started by greenboy, Oct 9, 2005.

1. greenboy

greenboy Well-Known Member

We had been invaded by an orange and black bug it looks like a beetle and his wings are crossed in the back, what the heck is that????

2. Oscar

Oscar Well-Known Member

I have the same bugs all over my land. I have ID-ed them as Large Milkweed Bugs. The chickens won't eat them so they are not much benefit to me!

3. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Asian ladybugs?

4. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Hi,
    They are called boxelder bugs or beetles. They are looking for warmth for a place to spend the winter. They areharmless butI understand that they can bite but never known anyone to be bitten. It is recommended to vaccuum them up into a canister type vac and dispose of that way. If they are outdoors then just spray them with a pyrethrin based insecticide. The bug spray should say resmethrin or pyrethrin or tetramethrin....you get the idea. It has to be sprayed directly on them though because it is a synthesized organic. Doesn't have good residual. If indoors they can stain fabrics with their waste. My guess is that you have alder trees in the neighborhood. get rid of those as they are junk trees.

5. dlangland

dlangland dlangland

If you could put a picture here, I am sure someone could positive ID it for you. My boxelder bugs are pure dark-colored, although I am sure there are dif varieties, and I am also fighting the Asian whatever beetles they brought in for the soybeans. Both are more of a nuisance than anything. Me, I'm just going to let them do their thing.