Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am totally in love with my apple tree, One of my friend told me if I want to plant the tree and to get the same fruits, I need to plant a climpping from my old tree. I never did this, I need to know if this is true, I was told not to use the seeds because the apples today well they can't reproduce themselves by seeds anymore the same with bananas. I need some input please.... :cool:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Most apples need a polinator.Some do not.If you plant an apple seed from "todays" apples you will need to "bud" it,or it will not bear the same fruit.Others will have to tell you how to do this since I buy all my apples from a nursery.Good luck.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So this means if I plant a clipping of my apple is not going to grow????

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
you could try air rooting (i think that is the right term) a branch and encouraging it to make roots. basically you wrap peat moss and plastic around a branch where you want it to form roots and you keep the peat moss moist. periodically check it for a few months and when it has roots you cut it and plant it.

then there is grafting on to good root stock. this is done in the late winter.

i all you need is pollination, maybe you could dig a crab apple tree or something to plant nearby.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Why not just plant another tree Greenboy,its a lot quicker and both will bear.If you like you can plant a different kind or the same kind in most cases.Where did you get your tree?If it is an ungrafted seedling it won't have very good apples if any.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes you are right maybe I am just cheap.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
greenboy said:
Yes you are right maybe I am just cheap.
Sorry if I offended you.Maybe I did't understand your question.If you will send me your address I will give you an apple tree post paid.

·
Master Of My Domain
7,220 Posts
dang...i am highly offended backwoods... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts