help help help kidding ???

Discussion in 'Goats' started by full sun, Jun 12, 2006.

1. full sun

full sun Well-Known Member

I just had 3 born just 1/2 hour ago none will nurse. Day 142 they're early.what should I do?? Theyre so weak and beet but can't sstand up yet. Normal?? Keep trying to get them to nurse?? Help!!! I wans't expcecting so soon!

Jennifer

2. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Can be normal. I've had babies slow to start nursing. Some I've held up to the teat. I had one down for two DAYS - just kind of thrashed around, never held up her head or got up. Third day -she was up like she had the same start as everyone else - but I held her to the teat five times a day those first two days.

Sometimes it takes some work to even get them to suckle - even while holding them up to the teat.
    niki

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a little doeling born early and she was unable to stand on her own for over a day. I took her in the house right away and milked out the doe. I got the baby to drink her colostrum from a pop bottle with a Pritchard nipple. If you can't get the babies to suck, you may need to tube them. If you don't know how to tube, your vet or a neighboring goat farmer may be able to help you.