Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 18 month old Heifer is in milk!!!
Does anyone know if a heifer who is not bred can have milk? She has not ever given birth and has never been around a bull (well except our 5 month old bull). He couldn't ..........could he :shrug: ?
Thanks for any info.
Lisa

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
Lisa,
I have heard of precocious udders in goats but don't know about cattle; however, the fact that she was in with a bull....hmmm, was he 5 months old about 11 months ago? 'Cause I could tell you POLENTY of stories about baby bucks breeding adult does at a young age. Never say never until you are SURE she's not preggers...good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am thinking Precocious Udder may be whats going on. Thanks Joan for the idea. Gave me something to research. I have only found information for goats but Im sure its possible in cows.
dosthouhavemilk.....her back udders have the milk. She was with younger animals until recently. We never noticed them trying to nurse on her but you never know.
I wish I would have though about that problem!
Now I am really concerned about her udder formation.
Thank you for the information.
Lisa

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I've got two bull calves that are constantly "nursing" each other; I hope THAT'S not precocious! LOL...anyhow, my concern is infection after castration; I have a feeling that there will be a lot of kicking going on after that if it's tried...

·
Udderly Happy!
2,866 Posts
I've got a yearling Jersey heifer that's in milk now and it's only her rear two quarters. I noticed it and got to thinking she could have been bred so I took her and had her preg checked. The vet said she was open but he recommended treating her for mastitis on all four quarters with some "quartermaster" injections. She had been in the pasture with other critters so I assume they were trying to nurse her.

·
woolgathering
2,600 Posts
i have one 9 month old that is putting on an udder :shrug: she has always had a substaintial one for her age

my angusXjersey was raised with bottle calves and they nursed on her, she never came in milk and is one of my best milkers to date...

·
Seeking Type
2,102 Posts
Udders develop mostly during the age of 2-12 months. After that they udder isn't developing. Before 2 months it isn't developing either. During this stage you have to be carefull of how much feed they get, too much growth etc. After 12 months you dont have to worry as it will go to growth. There was a study done, and they found when an animal gains 1.8lbs/day during that 2-12 month period they hit their maximum potential is a 2yr old, they also developed well. Any that gained up to 2.6lbs/day had a significant hit in production. For example at 1.8lbs the average was say 20.000lbs. With the higher weight gain they saw a 16-17,000lb production. This was because of getting a fatty udder, overdeveloping etc etc. If you underfed them, they gained 1.3-1.8 the drop wasn't significant at all. For example 18,5000-19,000. So only a 1000-1500lb drop, vs that 3-4,000.

So ya gotta be carefull with em' at a young age, stress, overfeeding, will hurt a heifer later on.

I firmly beleive the reason why some of the ones I have, did as well as they did as cows (or are still doing) is because of the way I fed them during that period. Genetics play a role, but even the best heifer in the world if fed improperly will not turn into the best cow.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts
Estrogen producing plants can bring an animal into production, too. Sweet clover is one I remember. Generally with cows, though, the problem is sucking.

Jennifer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.