Help....goats got in the deer feeder...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by janceejan, Dec 3, 2005.

1. janceejan

janceejan Active Member

My 3 boers got to the deer feeder.....figured out how to knock it and get the corn out. It is filled with Corn soy protein mix for deer, best I can tell they consumed about 20 pounds over a week period. Will it hurt them.....the soy mostly......we do feed corn only as a treat....about a cup or so for all three nightly...mostly to get them in the pen.

We are way, way newbies......came from DFW area of TX to a small, no...tiny town south of Abilene, pop. 146, including my 3 goats....lol.

Two of the goats are pregnant, Troubles.....looks like triplets......the other , Topper, is about a month or so behind her. Our third, Wrong Way, is a bottle fed buck about 3 months old.

I was really concerned when I found out they had got into it. The guy at the feed store said they might have to have a shot for overeating, but no bloat and no scours. Needless to say, the feeder has been removed.

Any ideas.......thanks.

2. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

Well let's see......(3) goats; 2 of which are pregnant and need extra protein....ate 20 lbs. of feed over a week period.....averaging just under 7 lbs./goat.....or less than a pound a day and no scours or bloat.....
    As far as I can see if you've had no problems, than you're okay and just TRY to keep them out of it in the future......LOL....lots of Luck on that one.....once they've got the taste of "forbidden" feed.....it's like kids with candy!!! :goodjob: :eek:

3. Rachel K.

Rachel K. Well-Known Member

As long as its now removed they will be fine.

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Bloat would have been the biggest concern. No bloat and no scours = no problems. The soy won't hurt them, and the corn probably tasted just like candy to them. You might set some baking soda out for them to take as needed to keep their tummies settled, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much. (if this is the most worrisome thing your goats have gotten into, you're doing really well!)

5. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

I agree that you shouldn't have any problems. If you want to leave the feeder up just do what I do and make a jump pen out of cattle panels and that will keep the goats out. The deer will easily jump over the panels to eat the feed.

6. janceejan

janceejan Active Member

I appreciate your responses......it is kinda like raising new kids (the human kind), you wing most of it, take most of the advice in one ear, and sort it and flush the rest. Everything I have read on this board has gone into the sort, and file portion. I never realized there where so many helpful people out there. :goodjob: