Help! Found a baby rabbit!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by livinthedream, Jun 29, 2006.

1. livinthedream

livinthedream Member

Teeny tiny little thing and missing a lot of fur on its back. Found it outside cowering by our fence. Our dog was going crazy and we walked out and saw the rabbit. Our dog could not get near it so he did not take the fur off so we have no idea how that happened. What can we do to help this little guy? He seems okay. No bleeding. Just raw skin and scared. About the size of a large mans hand. Help! And thanks in advance.

2. posifour11

posifour11 Well-Known Member

my personal thought is that it very well may do well on it's own. if it's that big, it could have been on it's first adventure from home. unless you think it's in danger, i'd leave it alone.

3. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I agree -- just let it be. I know when they are so small and cute it is hard to just let nature take its course, but bunny has a far better chance of survival in the wild than in captivity. Cottontail rabbits are too highstrung to take the stress of being in a pen or cage. Think of it this way... its close call will make him more cautious and improve its chance of survival.

4. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

I agree too, at that age it should be fine, even with missing fur. As long as it isn't badly injured. Even if it is, you may do more harm than good if you mess with it.