Help for stupid rabbit owner

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Wilbursmommy, Jun 22, 2006.

1. Wilbursmommy

Wilbursmommy Well-Known Member

Hope someone can help me. I live in Georgia, and when it gets this hot without rain, the fireants are pure hell. I went out to check on rabbits this morning and one of the males was covered in fireants! It was so bad I had to hose him off. I hosed out the hutch too. Then I pulled him out and toweled him off and picked off all the ants I could see. I set the legs of the hutch in ice cream buckets and filled them with water. As soon as the hutch dries, I plan to put some DE on the places the ants are climbing on, but the rabbits can't get to.

Here is what I need help on. I was looking at the rabbit to see what made the fireants go after him since the rabbits next door had no ants. When I looked at his backside, there are two large lumps above and on each side of his penis. Forgive me for being stupid, but are those his testicles? They have crusty looking skin and the fireants were eating him there. He actually has some raw places where the ants ate away the crusty stuff. Is this cancer? I really want to save this rabbit as I had planned to breed him. I checked my young male rabbit and noticed he is also developing a lump in the same area also. I don't know how to post pictures, but when DH gets home, I will have him take some and post them for me. In the meantime, can I put antibacterial ointment on the rabbit, or will that harm him? Poor thing, I want to give him some relief.

I am seriously wanting to move away from GA and fireants!!!!

2. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Sounds like testicles, to me. Poor bunny! Try boric acid

3. Paranoid

Paranoid Homebrewed Happiness

put some ant bait down around the sides where nothing can get to it but the scouts.

4. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

If you hutches are on legs, I've head that you can put the legs in coffee cans or buckets full of water, so they don't have an avenue to climb into the cage.

Tim B.

5. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

She already set the legs in ice cream buckets with water in the buckets.

Is DE dangerous to rabbits? If not, perhaps you could dust the rabbits with it, in addition to putting it wherever else you'd planned to use it.

I used to live in central GA and the fireants are h-e-double-hockey-sticks.

6. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

Sorry about that, I'm easily distracted.

Tim B.

7. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

I would think the DE would be harmful to rabbits, because I know their respitory systems are real touchy about dust, etc... but I have never used it directly, so don't have direct knowledge there.

8. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

Please put some ointment on the poor little guys jewels, it won't hurt him and I imagine they must be on fire. I'm allergic to fire ants, found that out when I lived in Texas, infact any ant bite makes me run a fever and get lightheaded, and I get a nasty swollen infected spot where it bit me. I really feel for the poor bunny!!

9. Wilbursmommy

Wilbursmommy Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! I did put DE in Jack's hutch and that seemed to help. I went back a couple hours later to check on him and he was just about to die. Not from the ants, but from the heat. It was at least 100 degrees here today. I brought him in the house and set him by the central air vent. He sat there for hours, finally drank some water and nibbled on an apple. He finally got really active and ran around the kitchen like a racehorse! I put some Boudreax Butt Paste on his privates. It's what I use on GD diaper rash, and it has a pain reliever that works almost immediately. You can use it on all kinds of skin conditions and works really fast.

Well, I just put him back in hutch about 15 minutes ago. He seems right as rain. I had to wait for the bad storm we had to pass. Thank the Lord for that rain!!! We haven't had rain in about 3 weeks and every day just got hotter. Heard it was 102 degrees here today. The frozen water bottles we put in the hutches every day was really hot. We are going to move all the hutches in the morning. Hopefully, the new place won't be as bad about the ants!!

10. the mama

the mama loves all critters Supporter

Consider that the ants might have got him because he already had lesions on his privates. I was given a 'wild' bunny NZW that escaped and was caught in my cousin's yard. He had scaley lesions on his private. I gave him penicillin shots .3 cc of horse strength for 3 days and he healed up great. I thought it was vent disease, I also washed and put neosporin on him.

11. moldy

moldy Well-Known Member

If you don't have a lot of rabbits, I would suggest ice-bottling them. We freeze water in 2l bottles, then put the frozen bottles in the cages about noon; keeps the bunnies cool at least in the afternoons.

12. CountryDreams

CountryDreams Well-Known Member

I too was going to suggest the frozen pop bottles. I usually use the 20 or 24 oz bottles. I put them out in the early afternoon so it gives them relief in the hottest part of the day.

13. twohunnyz

twohunnyz Pacific Northwest

There is a co. called Rabbit Medicine Chest that has natural remedies. One of their products is DE and they put it on the feed, as a wormer, and sprinkled around the ground for other pesky critters. I haven't used it, but when we can afford to, we will.
    www.rabbitmedicinechest.com