Help for new gardeners..please!!

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by teresab, Jul 6, 2005.

1. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

I was just thinking after reading some of the posts on gardening...could those of you who have been gardening a while tell the newbies (me) some of your fav seed companies that you have delt with. You know..the ones you can count on for good germination on your seeds and plants that survived the trip to your house and thrived. I am asking for help because I ordered from 2 different companies earlier this year...I ordered the same kind of strawberries,planted them the same way and lost over 50% of one bunch while another bunch from a different company all survived.

SO......tell us your success stories....please!!

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    The second 'sticky' lists positive and negative words conserning seed companies.

3. themamahen

themamahen Well-Known Member

I but everything seeds and plants locally (unless heirloom variety) this way I know it is suited to my climate (zone 4) we get 90 days growing season so I have to be careful of what and when to plant I use burpee for my strawberries and they were nice plants i recv'd a little expensive but they thrived,

4. bare

bare Head Muderator

I'll brag up Gurney's who I haven't ordered from in years. I took advantage of their 25 dollar coupon this year and with the seed orders, ordered 25 dollars worth of strawberry plants. Even though this is their first year, I'm getting all kinds of strawberries and 100% survival rates. Germination of all the seeds I bought has been terrific.

They were suffering bad PR, but in my experience, we'll be ordering from them again.

5. Dyeing_Fox

Dyeing_Fox Member

I may sound jaded since I live here in Maine, but Johnnys Select Seeds, which is right up the road from me, in Albion, ME is one of the best I have seen. I agree also that Gurneys for mail order is one of the exceptional ones.
    Try www.johnnyseeds.com

6. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

When we gardened on a large scale, we got our seeds mostly from Jung Seed Company in Randolph,WI. In fact, we would make it a family day and my DD and her family would come with us and buy all the seeds we needed. I ordered my tomato seeds from a catalog named (I think) Totally Tomatoes because I started them myself.

7. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Baker's Creek Heirlooms, NoThyme and ... one other whose name I've forgotten --- Victory in oregon maybe?

woah --- new icons! I just noticed. :cow: :sing:

8. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

Territorial Seed Company is where I get most of my seeds and starts. Not cheap, but everything grows and I have great success with germination. They're also really helpful if you have any questions.

9. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

Another Mainer chiming in for Maine seed companies. http://fedcoseeds.com gets most of my order. Excellent prices. The down side is when I need seeds in July their office is closed to seed orders. Fedco is run by farmers for the most part so most of the people who work there have gone home to work their own farms. You can order grower supplies year round at Fedco, just not seeds after late spring. I order from Johnny's when I need seeds after Fedco closes. Johnny's is very expensive but they're dependable and open year round.

10. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone for your posts..I really appreciate you taking the time. I will check out the recommended companies. I have just had a disappointing year so far with the garden..thanks for your input....I guess this is all part of it..kind of hit and miss every year. I will try with better seeds and plants next year and hope the weather cooperates better!