Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Baxter, my 4 year old, fixed, 170lb. Great Pyrenees has had really itchy areas on his chest and on the elbows of his front legs for around 1 month (noticeably) now. He scratches his front legs and chest with his back legs every 15 minutes practically when he's not sleeping. I'm starting to get desperate on how to help him! I've bathed and brushed him using a few different shampoos from Amazon that have good reviews to heal mange, mites, hot spots, etc. I really focus on lathering the spots he itches and letting it sit for a few minutes before rinsing. The shampoos seem to be soothing and relieving in the moment...but give it an hour and he's still itchy. He's currently eating 6 cups of Nature's Domain Beef Meal & Sweet Potato Formula along with a few cups of homemade chicken broth once a day. We recently started mixing in 2 T of food grade diatomaceous earth and a 1-2 T of coconut oil for extra fatty acids.

If he's allergic to something, I'd expect it'd show up more than just his chest/elbow areas. He's a LGD that's outside 24/7 so I can't prevent grass, dirt or pollen if that's the culprit. But I have a feeling it's something like mites. I just gave him another bath recently, and found a few patches of bright pink skin on his lower back/butt area. The fur was very matted there and it had blackish specks in it (not sure if they're critters or not.) It's hard to get photos of it!

I should note that we have another LGD, Bailey (Baxter's sister) who eats the same diet as Baxter and sleeps in the same spots as him. A few months ago she had a weird condition on her legs (which I sadly don't have a photo of) where her skin on her front legs was pinkish/red and it showed through her white fur. She chewed on her legs, and I bathed her with the same shampoos I'm trying on Baxter and it went away. (Not sure if the shampoos took it away or diet.) Her fur now stays so nicely groomed and shiny which is the opposite of Baxter's which gets matted so badly and has a duller, flat look to it. Bailey isn't scratching, and I looked her over and couldn't spot anything on her so that's another reason why I'm confused.

If you have any ideas or helpful natural remedies for Baxter I'm all ears! If you think it might be mites or something else...please send me what worked for you and I'll try it.
I'm really hoping to heal him without having to leave our farm and go to a vet if possible. Baxter stays on our property 24/7 so it's an incredibly stressful experience for him to go to the vet. Thank you for your help and suggestions!

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,506 Posts
Is there grain in the dog food? My Basset was allergic to wheat in the dry dog food. It made her chest skin red and itchy.

Reactions: emdeengee

·
HOW do they DO that?
2,785 Posts
We recently started mixing in 2 T of food grade diatomaceous earth and a 1-2 T of coconut oil for extra fatty acids.
Did the itching start when you added these?

The fur was very matted there and it had blackish specks in it (not sure if they're critters or not.)
Black specs could be dirt, or frass(bug poop)?

·
Registered
861 Posts
I don't have a LGD, but I do have a blue pit who has skin conditions that are just crazy. We had thought she was allergic to grass (per a vet visit) so we treated her with benadryl for a year. We moved, took her to another vet and it turned out to be a fungal infection that she evidently picked up out in the yard. If you've tried everything else, I would suggest getting an anti fungal shampoo for him, and make sure you dry him off as well as you can. Hopefully it is something simple and he gets back to his normal self quickly!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is there grain in the dog food? My Basset was allergic to wheat in the dry dog food. It made her chest skin red and itchy.
This could be it possibly! Their dog food doesn't have any wheat or grains in it from what I can find, but since we live on a big farm we have a lot of chickens, and if one dies he'll secretly grab it as a snack if I can't get to it first. (Yuck I know!) But the chickens have a lot of grain in their stomachs so that could be it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have a LGD, but I do have a blue pit who has skin conditions that are just crazy. We had thought she was allergic to grass (per a vet visit) so we treated her with benadryl for a year. We moved, took her to another vet and it turned out to be a fungal infection that she evidently picked up out in the yard. If you've tried everything else, I would suggest getting an anti fungal shampoo for him, and make sure you dry him off as well as you can. Hopefully it is something simple and he gets back to his normal self quickly!!
This is super helpful! I'll def try it...thank you!

·
Registered
10,093 Posts
Our German Shepherd was also allergic to grass. No fungal infection, just really itchy when she walked on the grass (we did not use gardening chemicals) and her skin on her feet, ears and belly would turn bright red.

We have cats who cannot eat fish. The way we found this out was to start by eliminating one item of food from their diet for a couple of weeks. If there was no improvement we went on to eliminate something else.

·
Premium Member
6,897 Posts
Black dirt specks= flea poop

Are your dogs on flea preventive? Some dogs are allergic to flea bites and their skin will get nasty.

Also, changing products every few days to treat something makes it REALLY difficult to figure out what is causing the problem. Stop throwing the kitchen sink at the dog and give an *individual* treatment time to work.

Mon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts