Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dose/frequency of antitoxin? Give Sub-q? One of my friends has a down doeling. I thought I remember 10ml for kids 20 ml for adults but don't remember frequency and that might be wrong off the top of my head. :p

Going to assume spring born, no idea on exact age/weight. Yesterday 'foaming at mouth and falling over'. I don't know much but she was seen by a vet yesterday which said either polio or entero. Vet said give thiamine orally and gave a couple doses of Banamine. Banamine ran out (sounds like they only got 2 ds of banamine?), but they are giving thiamine orally. Vet gave no antitoxin, no differential treatment for Listeria. Did say she was in the 'beginning stages of ketosis' - an unbred doeling? It's probably because she hasn't eaten because she feels cruddy and is mobilizing body fat... nothing I think is abnormal, personally.

I told her my personal plan of action would be thiamine (injected), penicillin every 6 hrs, large dose of antitoxin, lots of probiotics and steal some cud. Anything else?

·
Katie
19,970 Posts
I just saw this Dona but the last time I had to use the Antitoxin my vet said 20cc for adult & 10 cc for a kid.
I gave it SQ & only 1 dose was all I needed.

I sure hope your friends little doe is doing OK. Update when you can.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Apparently it's improving, thank goodness. Not sure if it was the antitoxin, Vit B, penicillin, or what... lol.

Reactions: BackfourtyMI.

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
this is what I followed...
Drug Name:

Clostridium Perfringes C&D Bactern - Antitoxin

For treatment of:
Enterotoxemia; severe diarrhea in very young kids; toxicity situations in which the goat is frothing at the mouth; sometimes administered to combat Floppy Kid Syndrome. This product provides short-term protection (just a few hours) but works quickly.
Goat dose: SQ Injection
5 ml to young kids for prevention of Enterotoxemia (gives 10-14 day passive immunity)
3 ml up to three times a day to young kids for treatment of Enterotoxemia.
10-15 ml to Adults for treatment of Enterotoxemia.
Milk withholding time: none
Plus MOM(Milk of Magnesia) to encourage the gut to flush the toxin out. Saved Monkey's life.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Vet gave no antitoxin, no differential treatment for Listeria.
FWIW - according to what I've read and been told - thiamine treats goat polio, and penicillin and banamine is used to treat listeriosis. Because it is so difficult to tell exactly which one is causing the problem, it is recommended to treat both at the same time. Something else to consider is that, a lot of times, foaming at the mouth can be a sign of poisoning and it is recommended to give activated charcoal to absorb the poison/toxins.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FWIW - according to what I've read and been told - thiamine treats goat polio, and penicillin and banamine is used to treat listeriosis. Because it is so difficult to tell exactly which one is causing the problem, it is recommended to treat both at the same time. Something else to consider is that, a lot of times, foaming at the mouth can be a sign of poisoning and it is recommended to give activated charcoal to absorb the poison/toxins.
Yes, that's why I said no differential treatment for listeria - because I think that was inappropriate considering penicillin and thiamine are both cheap, and considering you're already gving thiamine every 6 hrs, you can also give Penn! :p I always always always tell people to treat for both, no matter what the vet says.

Good thinking on the foaming = poisoning... That didn't jump to my mind immediately, but a great differential for entero I bet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts