Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm at my wit's end. This is a larger, 15 pound, very fluffy, indoor cat.

We have tried:

The lame grocery store brand of "fluid"

Garlic

Sevin dust (that just didn't seem right, so not doing it again)

Brushing regularly

FRONTLINE (about a week and a half ago)

Fleas are still flipping the cat out. He runs and licks and scratches and runs more and makes horrible noises while itching.

Any more suggestions? Poor Keekers! I feel so bad for him. Plus, he's infesting my house. Glad I have a bagless vac!

Any new suggestions would be soooooo appreciated. :help:

·
Premium Member
6,374 Posts
Try pennyroyal oil/ tea made from the dried flowers, and sprinkle DE under your couch cushions and such. Give Keekers a haircut and bath too, to help get rid of the little nasties and at least give him some relief.

One thing I've done when I've had an animal show up covered is Sergeant's flea shampoo; I never would have tried it myself, but it's what my family has always used on pups, dogs, kittens and cats; I've even used it on a young, four-ish month old pup out of sheer desperation and she was fine. Put a towel down in the tub for him to cling to so he doesn't scratch the life out of you, and bathe from the tail and feet up; the fleas will run right to his nose (I use a sponge to wet the face with just plain water) and you can use a flea comb/your fingers to pluck them off and dunk them in a cup of soapy water. They'll come back if you don't treat the house, but at least he can have some itch-free hours.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I'm not sure where you live, but in some climates (like in California) fleas go wild during the right conditions. When that happens and they have infested your house, you need to bug bomb the house to get rid of them. Your carpets are probably full of fleas and eggs, so treating the cat is not enough. The fleas are probably dying on the cat as they should (Frontline is very effective) but there are too many in the house so they just keep repopulating the cat.

You will need to leave the house for some time, and remove animals and house plants, etc. while you bug bomb, but it will work. I had to do that when I lived in California.

·
Premium Member
15,981 Posts
The fleas are breeding in your house. Once they feed off your cat, they jump off and congregate in your carpeting, drapes, etc. You need to try and confine your cat someplace so you have a towel or bedding that can be washed and dried in a hot dryer. Put DE on the carpeting. Anything that can go into the dryer on high heat, put in the dryer on high heat for a half hour to kill the eggs and larvae. You can get rid of them, but you need a multi pronged approach.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Ya to what Maura said..I had a cat with long hair that had fleas really bad when I got the poor grumpy old thing. The whole house got infested. He adopted me. I named him Mad Max and that fit him good. I sware he growled like a grumpy old man. Anyways I dont remember what it was called but it was some kind of flea bath soap stuff that we gave him a bath with. Took 3 of us to do it and we found out his growl was just to fake everyone out, he was just irritable from not being able to sleep without scratching himslef awake. It was pretty expencive like $15 for a bottle, from a pet store, but it worked great and he slept for 3 days straight. Then we used frontline after the bath too keep them off.
Meanwhile washing everything in the house he slept on, vacuuming a few times a day (keep the vacuum cleaner outside durring this) and putting out a pan of soapy water (1/2 inch or so of water and dish soap) with a desk light (what ever works) a foot or two right over it got the rest of the fleas in the house. The fleas are attracted to the light at night and jump for it landing in the soapy water and they drown. Just Dont let the light fall in the water.
I had a cat named Keeker once too. :)
Good Luck

~~~
Sumer

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
Years ago I had my first and last experience with fleas. The vet used Frontline on the dogs and when that did nothing, he used the other popular product a few days later - which also did nothing!

This dummy woke up and remembered I had DE in the house. I covered all the floors in my house with DE. Woke up the next day to clean dogs and a house full of dead fleas and insects - some of which I had never seen before. All the dead scorpians kinda got to me! Didn't know I was sharing that rental! I left the DE on the floors for another couple of days and then vacuumed it up.

·
Premium Member
3,764 Posts
Rogo said:
Years ago I had my first and last experience with fleas. The vet used Frontline on the dogs and when that did nothing, he used the other popular product a few days later - which also did nothing!

This dummy woke up and remembered I had DE in the house. I covered all the floors in my house with DE. Woke up the next day to clean dogs and a house full of dead fleas and insects - some of which I had never seen before. All the dead scorpians kinda got to me! Didn't know I was sharing that rental! I left the DE on the floors for another couple of days and then vacuumed it up.
WHAT IS DE ??????

·
Registered
362 Posts
DE= Diatomaceous Earth

Okay, here is the deal. Frontline, spray or topical application (between the shoulders) is rarely affective any longer. The best methods for getting rid of fleas these days is using Eucalyptus oil, diluted, and rub into the fur onto the skin. Especially areas of high flea traffic, under the neck, throat, back of the head, under legs, and on abdomen. Flea dips still work, but there is alot of danger associated with them. Use only as directed. If directions specifically say for dogs, only use on dogs as these chemicals formulated in dog dips can cause serious health problems and death in cats. If the products specifically says for use in cats, likewise, only use on cats. I recomend dips (and I hate chemicals) when the situation is bad. I cannot stand a flea. But only use when neccesary, and ONLY as DIRECTED!
For use in getting rid of them in the house, you can use D.E. but a more effective method is to use 20 Mule Team Borax, or any powdered laundry detergent, GAIN smells so good, sprinkle through the house, onto the carpet, hardwood (watchout slippery) and furniture. Wait 20-30 minutes and then vaccum. You can leave on carpet longer, as in for a few days, but it may leave a greasy residue that won't appeal to your feet too much. You can do this once a week or twice a month (depending on carpet, size of house etc.) and I garauntee you your flea problem will be gone. You can also use Borax on the animals coat, or dip them in a mild solution, fill the bathtub and do 1/4 scoop(cats & small dogs) 1/2scoop(medium dogs dogs) 1 whole scoop (large dogs) and wash them in this. May irritate their skin slightly, but it's more from the irritant of the fle bites, a dip will cause the same effect but through use of caustic chemicals. Dish detergent as mentioned above can be used as well, fleas can't stand it, and you can safely mix dish soap with the borax mixture to use as a bath.
Last but not least.....vinegar. The animal may smell strong, and the vinegar will at first burn in any flea bites but will actually help heal and soothe the skin in the long run. The acidic nature of vinegar will kill the fleas. You can use white distilled or apple cider(better smelling) and they will equally be effective. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
5,001 Posts
Miz Mary said:
WHAT IS DE ??????
You have just summoned Rogo :) She'll give you the low down on DE.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I have to say I'd be hesitant to use eucalyptus oil on a cat. I had a cat who accidentally got some Dr Bonners Eucalyptus Pure Castile soap on him, and licked it off, and almost died of poisoning.

DE I know to be harmless. I'm not sure what ingredient was in the Dr Bonners soap that my cat reacted to, but I would not chance it.

·
Registered
5,242 Posts
=== What Is DE? ===

Diatomaceous Earth (DE) is fossilized plants from the
oceans and lakes. These plants inhabit all the waters
of the earth, and serve as the basic food for aquatic
life, just as grass is the basic food for land
animals.

DE has been used for thousands of years by critters and humans, and its uses handed down by word of mouth, much like herbs. I've only known about it for 30 years.

I feed it daily to my house pets, poultry, large livestock so they have no sickness, diseases, conditions. I also take it daily. I have no vet or medical bills.

DE also kills insects. I know, sounds strange to ingest something that kills!
It will kill any insect that lands on it or crawls thru it except earthworms. DE kills by slitting the outer skin and dehydrating the insect.

DE also deworms the critters. I don't use any other products.

Food grade DE is the grade to use. The bag will say FOOD CHEMICAL CODEX GRADE. If it doesn't, don't purchase.

Food grade DE is sold in feed stores and organic garden centers.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have 2 toy poodles, one is pregnant, can she have it??. how much do I feed them???
also have boer goats, how much do I give them??
frontline plus doesnt work on my animals either....I have nver heard of this DE stuff before!!e

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
If you don't want to use the bombs in your house, you might try putting a pan of soapy water in the middle of the floor, Then hang a low watt bulb over it at night. The fleas will jump toward the light and drop in the soapy water and drown. Be sure to put the soap in the water. They can get out of plain water, but the soap will coat them so they can't get away. The next morning you will have a pan full of dead fleas. If you don't find any fleas in the water, then your house, or at least that room, is flea free. Try another room the next night.

Shampoo kitty with the original blue dawn dish soap, it kills fleas better than some of the flea shampoos.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
HeavenHelpMe said:
OK, I'm at my wit's end. This is a larger, 15 pound, very fluffy, indoor cat.

We have tried:

The lame grocery store brand of "fluid"

Garlic

Sevin dust (that just didn't seem right, so not doing it again)

Brushing regularly

FRONTLINE (about a week and a half ago)

Fleas are still flipping the cat out. He runs and licks and scratches and runs more and makes horrible noises while itching.

Any more suggestions? Poor Keekers! I feel so bad for him. Plus, he's infesting my house. Glad I have a bagless vac!

Any new suggestions would be soooooo appreciated. :help:
Welcome to the resistent flea club of America. I'm in the same boat.

Believe it or not the best thing I have found was the old fashioned "flea comb". I have been combing my two kitties every single night before I go to bed. The first night I got about 10 off of Jimi and about 15 off of Moggy. The second night it was down to about 6 and 10, the third and fourth night were both less and less. Last night there were only three on Jimi and five on Moggy.

Now, I know I am not getting all of them, but the point is that it is helping relieve a lot of the misery that they were going through, and eventually, I will be "keeping up" with the fleas as they hatch and multiply. For now (until winter), this is the only solution I have come up with that works at all.

Also, treat your carpets with salt and borax so that the fleas will not breed there! I also use Frontline and it did bupkus this year. You gotta feel sorry for the outside animals this year - for sure.

Hope that helps.

Edited to add: Have a soup bowl with water and a squirt or two of Dawn liquid in it to dump the fleas in as soon as you comb them out. The Dawn kills them on contact.

donsgal

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
While you're waiting for the DE to work, shave the cat... it's miserable for the long haired ones. I had a himalayan and the poor thing hated the warm months, because it meant a frequent shave. Daily brushing has to occur, shaved or not, to keep them trained to it.

If there's not as much hair to cover, the frontline works much better.

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
Try Advangtix. Works more than the other shoulder drops.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts