Help! Fish smell in fridge.

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jucal, Feb 10, 2004.

1. jucal

jucal Well-Known Member

I have a fridge on my back porch that I use very little but do use it. Well last summer some how it got unpluged and there was fish in the freezer section. Well you can just imagine the smell. I have cleaned it and cleaned it and cleaned it. Keep baking soda in it but just as soon as the baking soda gets old the smell is back. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on how to get the smell out and to keep it out.
    Thanks,
    Judy

2. Case

Case Well-Known Member

Most likely you haven't cleaned the cracks between the metal parts of the freezer and that's where the odor continues to lurk.

If possible, unscrew the insside walls of the freezer and scrub everything down good.

You might have to go farther -- into the refrigerator compartment and beyond -- since the thawed juices probably seeped into other areas.

I'd use a light solution of bleach and water.

Also, a product available at grocery stores named Fabreze works good on cloth and carpet odors. Don't know how it would do on enameled metal.

Bottom line: You just haven't removed all the sources of the odors yet.

3. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

I had some meat thaw out in an old beer box fridge in my shop onetime. I put charcoal in a pan and closed it up for a few days. It helped. :)

4. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

We just had to do this. My inlaws lost power for 3 days in a recent snow storm and they had a big side by side refridgerater/freezer. After three days of having no power when they opened the refrid. they could smell califlower really bad. Since they have the money to replace anything :rolleyes: they went out and bought a new refridgerater. We told them that we would take their old one off their hands, since it was only a couple years old. Brought it home and cleaned it out, scrubbed it down with vinegar water and then put some scrunched up newspaper on all shelves and took a bag of charcoal *bbq briquettes* and put in the refridgerater and freezer. Shut it up for one week and at the end of a week the odors were gone. I then just used plain water to wipe the inside and put all our food and stuff in it. It's been 3 weeks and the odor hasn't returned. :haha:

mljjranch