Help! First time Debudding!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by kanpope, Jun 16, 2006.

1. kanpope

kanpope Livin' the Dream

Dh and I are planning on disbudding the 10 day old buckling tonight and all we have are written instructions from the net. We have never seen it done. :shrug:

Can anyone offer any tips? We have the box, the iron - it appears that the kid has round buds, not teardrop shaped. Do we use the doe tip? :help:

Any information would be greatly appreciated! :help:

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

With a kid that old, particularly a buck, you will have to burn longer than you would think....I do not raise ND though, so keep that in mind. I prefer my kids to be disbudded before they are a week old. It is a horrible looking and sounding procedure for someone who has never witnessed it. be prepared.

3. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Whichever diameter on your iron is the larger, go with that. If these are NDs then they have a wider base than most breeds, especially bucks. Then days is getting up there for bucks and I can almost guarantee for a newbie you will get residual scurring. But do it TODAY. Bucks' horns grow almost as you're looking at them. There are some websites. GreatGoats.com I think has some illustrations. This is something though I would not recommend doing without observing it a few times. (no way your vet can do it??) But if there's no other choice you'll have to dive in. You really need to do a figure eight burn on these ND boys but I would not recommend it without have disbudded several times.

4. Scomber

Scomber Well-Known Member

I'm just not going to do it. The doe kid is 10 days old today, and she's either going to stay here or go to a herd where everyone else keeps their horns. I hear that in Europe and England, de-horning is uncommon, and a vet is required in order to disbud a kid. Horns are also a potentially good place to store calcium, and a friend (the owner of the other herd) has a theory that having horns will help diminish the chances of milk fever.

Besides, for the small herd keeper, chances are so good that you'll botch the job that the chore is essentially pointless. Better to have two good horns than two deformed ones that will need regular attention.

Dan

5. vancom

vancom Well-Known Member

We were freaked out by it but we did it, successfully, I might add. We did three does and two bucks at 10 days old, and we had built a kidding box so it was easier. But we did need to re-do a buckling and that was horrible. But you know what, they look good and forgot about it much sooner than we did. Now we have to castrate some pigs--that's a job I'm not looking forward to at all.

Vanessa

6. kanpope

kanpope Livin' the Dream

Thanks for all the advice. We went ahead and disbudded that evening (Friday). Everything went well, a lot of screaming from the goaty as well as my wife. I did two 10 - 12 second burns on each side and everything looks good. Does anyone know how long it will be before I see scurs and if I did leave some horn can I re-burn it?

Thanks again
    Kevin

7. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

Scurring will crop up different times for different goats. Some you will see in a couple weeks while others might take a month or so. When you spot some growth don't wait, and get the iron out. And make sure you get toward the front of the skull as that's usually when scurs, particularly on bucks tend to crop up as keepers don't often burn wide enough. Hope you were successful and don't you feel relieved to get that over with!