Help Fire-Man bake a Cake--LOL

Discussion in 'Cooking' started by Fire-Man, Feb 12, 2018 at 9:22 AM.

1. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

My Wife would like to start making some layer cakes---Like Chocolate, etc and I would Like To help get her Set-up!! I have seen the slicer guides but they look like the layers are to thick, seen the floss method----naw, seen the coping saw looking rig---naw. I want like 1/4" maybe 5/16" layers so a 12 layer with Icing will fit in a regular cake container with the lid on. What kind layer slicers are out there---maybe electric that will give her perfect cut layers in that thickness with some speed. I do not mind spending some money--with-in reason. See the slices in this pic---almost perfect. That's what we want.

Attached Files:

2. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

I think you are talking about a torte. The layers aren't cut but made very thin. I don't think there would be any way to cut layers from a normal cake that thin and have them hold together. Here's a recipe for a torte:

CHOCOLATE TORTE RECIPE

INGREDIENTS
    • For the glaze
    • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
    • 5 ounces (5 squares) unsweetened chocolate
    • 4 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    • 2 1/4 cups (18 ounces) evaporated milk
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    • 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules, preferably French roast
    • For the cake
    • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pans
    • 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    • 6 large eggs, at room temperature
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • 2 cups plus 1 tablespoon milk
    • 4 cups self-rising flour, plus more for the pans
    DIRECTIONS
    • Make the glaze
    • 1. [Editor’s Note: Be sure to make the glaze before you bake the cakes.] In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter. Add the chocolate and stir until melted. Add the sugar and stir until it dissolves. Then stir in the evaporated milk, vanilla, and the instant coffee.
    • 2. Cook the glaze over medium-high heat until it boils. Reduce the heat to low and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 20 minutes.
    • 3. Remove the glaze from the heat. When cooled a bit, return to low heat as needed, as the glaze must be warm to spread on the cake layers.
    • Make the cake
    • 4. Preheat the oven to 350°F (176°C). Butter and flour at least four 9-inch cake pans.
    • 5. Cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating just until blended after each addition. In a small bowl, mix the vanilla with the milk. Add the flour to the egg mixture alternately with the milk mixture, beginning and ending with the flour.
    • 6. Pour a very thin layer of batter—about 7 tablespoons—into each pan, shaking the pans to distribute the batter to the edges. Bake the layers for 11 to 13 minutes. Immediately remove the layers from the pans and, working one at a time, place the layers on a cake stand and immediately frost with the rewarmed glaze. Bake all of the remaining batter in this manner. You should be able to get 12 layers from this recipe. Continue to stack the layers, sandwiching them with glaze, reserving the last of the glaze to dribble over the top of the cake.
    https://leitesculinaria.com/55152/recipes-chocolate-torte.html

Nsoitgoes likes this.

3. Belfrybat

Belfrybat Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, I couldn't upload a pic in the last post, so trying again:
    chocolate-torte.jpg

happy hermits likes this.
  4. Fire-Man

This is the way she does them now---just like described, and that works, But if she was going to make 6 or 8 cakes in one day---she would be busy---which was my reason for looking for a faster way.

5. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

I have the layer cutter. It can change hight. Works great. Got it online Joann fabrics. Got the set of cake pans 4 different sizes as well and get an offset spatula.

6. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

7. Fire-Man

What kind of layer cutter you Got Forcast??

8. Forcast

Think I have the 12inch one. Think this one from Joann fabrics is 10 inch at $8 Capture+_2018-02-12-22-27-21.png

Fire-Man likes this.
  9. Forcast

And new cake pans with straight sides 2 inch deep is a need.
    I was still using my gmothers handme down pans. Makes a huge difference.

Fire-Man likes this.
  10. TerriLynn

TerriLynn Well-Known Member

My mother in law used to make torts....she baked the batter in a jelly roll pan (spread thinly) then would cut the baked cake into rectangles. She sometimes made 4 or 6 rectangles from one jelly roll pan. Then she would frost and stack them. All the rectangles need to be the same size and she never cut them until they were completely cool.

Nsoitgoes and Fire-Man like this.