Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our fencers, who did a great job installing our woven wire fence, showed up today to add two electrified predator wires at the top and bottom, for dogs and coyotes. Evidently they have never done this before.

At the bottom we're using the 5" plastic offsets, and at the top, the 12" metal Stafix offsets.

They don't know how to go around the outside corners, especially with the 12" extenders, and neither do I. The outer corners must be very stable to hold the hot wire out from the posts when it's stretched around the corner.

I've searched the internet all afternoon and can't find anything about how to do this.

They brought T-post extenders that go on the inside of the fence, instead of the outside, and didn't get any insulators for the metal ones, but brought a lot of other stuff we can't use, so they left for the day to regroup, but they will be back first thing in the morning.

Anyone have experience with how to go around the corners?

(We have A LOT of corners, both inside and outside.)

Nancy

·
Retired Coastie
5,077 Posts
I may not understand the entire dilemma, but on corners I use porcelain insulators or the black plastic insulators that screw into posts...Just trying to help.

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,682 Posts
Your outside corner "stand-offs" will have to be a lot longer than the rest, and will have to extend at a nearly perfect 45 degree angle to take a lot of tension

This shows the basic idea, but its hard to be more specific without knowing how your corners are built.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I couldn't make my sketch work like yours Bearfootfarm, so I'll just have to provide a link.

Do you think something like this would work?

http://home.earthlink.net/~nlyons545/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/cor.jpg

Green = 5" extenders (nail into wood post)
Blue = 12" Stafix extenders
Red = hot wire
Black = fence line/post

Or topside1, do you mean just to fasten the wire tight around the post with no extenders?

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,682 Posts
Nancy_in_GA said:
I couldn't make my sketch work like yours Bearfootfarm, so I'll just have to provide a link.

Do you think something like this would work?

http://home.earthlink.net/~nlyons545/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/cor.jpg

Green = 5" extenders (nail into wood post)
Blue = 12" Stafix extenders
Red = hot wire
Black = fence line/post

Or topside1, do you mean just to fasten the wire tight around the post with no extenders?
That should work also. And I wouldnt stretch the wire very tight at all.
Those insulators arent very strong

·
Premium Member
15,786 Posts
I would place an extra post with insulators directly out from your outside corner posts to hold the wire out. Put a brace at the top of the extra post to your fence post for strength. You could do something similar on the inside corners. Use ceramic insulators for strength. The wire will cut into plastic if you have much tension.

Why are they going 12" out at the top and not the bottom? My turkey farmer friends used to use an 18" board to hold the bottom hot wire 18" out and 6" off the ground. It was nailed to the fence post and could be tipped up for mowing. That prevented the coyotes from digging under the fence.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well they didn't show up this morning. Actually I'm glad, gives me a chance to find out more, in case they don't figure it out.

Fishead, that is a great idea about the extra posts. They wouldn't have to be sunk as deep as the corner posts (I hope)?. And I'm afraid I was the one that suggested the 5" extenders on the bottom, only because that was what I read on most websites---6-8" off the ground and 5-6" out from the fence. I like the idea of using boards but the majority of our posts are T-posts, So I'm not sure that would work here.

Not many folks around here have small livestock on large acreage, so I guess they don't do much fencing like this.

·
Premium Member
15,786 Posts
Yes, the outside corner insulator posts wouldn't need to be sunk too deeply as long as there is a brace between them and the fence corner post.

My friends used wooden posts so the board thing worked for them.

I just rethought my earlier post. You wouldn't need an extra post on the inside corners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts