HELP!!! Female rabbit pulling large areas of fur...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by rosehaven, Mar 27, 2005.

1. rosehaven

rosehaven Well-Known Member

out as of yesterday. She is approx. 3 years of age. I have never witnessed this type of behavior. We are in NE FL and it has gotten warm here as of the last two weeks, but this type of fur pulling seems excessive. Our other two rabbits are not doing this. I am concerned. She resides with another female rabbit (her offspring) and they get along well together.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

God bless,
    April

2. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

are you sure the other rabbit is female ?
    if shes not bred then i would check her bottom , see if its swollen , she might be going through some particularily virulent estrus period, and really really want a buck , false pregnancy kind of thing
    just in case, give her a box, and see ...
    sorry thats all i can think of off hand
    Beth

3. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

I agree with beth...she may be bred or false pregnacy...also check for fleas and lice...I have had a bunnie pull it's hair out and found ear mites when checking her...after the ear mites were cleared up she stopped pulling her hair out...check her over well...Dale Anne

4. manygoatsnmore

manygoatsnmore Well-Known Member Supporter

If the other rabbit she's in with really is a doe, it may have triggered a false pregnancy in your doe. She's going to go through all the stages a truly pregnant doe has, including the pulling of fur to make a nest. I agree with the other posters who mentioned the possibility that the younger doe might actually be a buck (we've all been fooled at one time or another), or that there might be fur mites, which are easily cured with Ivomec or dusting. I think the false pregnancy is the most likely, provided that you really have 2 does in together! :)

5. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I used to feel for testies to determine, however, pregnant does told me my "feelers" were off, one time :eek:. THat darn buck never had his testes drop, but they still worked, none-the-less!