Help! Eye problem!!!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by animal_kingdom, May 13, 2005.

1. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

I need some helpful advice or thoughts...

This morning, one of our 2 month old buck kids has a puffy eye. It is covered in an opaque film and looks like a human cateract. There is no oozing or discharge. The blood vessles in the upper white part of his eye are swoolen and very red looking.

Now this afternoon it is getting puffy and reddish in color around the skin of his eye.

Put a call into the vet and know about the goat 911.

Is there any other input someone could give me?

I truly appreciate any responses.
    Thanks!

2. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

Pink eye! A little boric acid powder diluted in warm water. Wash around the eye with a wash cloth followed by a small squirt of terramycin should do the trick once a day.. takes about a week to clear up.

3. animal_kingdom

that's what pink eye is? I never had it with my goats.

Okay, so I'm thinking there isn't the discharge as with human pink eye? Or is this how it looks as described at the very start of it?

Another question...sorry...do I give it any type of internal atibiotic or only treat the eye externally?

Thanks Ken.

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I just had a bout....rinsed with tea bag....then applied neosporin around outside of eye....gone in two days and no one else caught it not even her babes!

5. animal_kingdom

Thanks a ton. My mind is now at ease. I'm going off to the trenches to treat the poor little guy. He's just had such a rough couple of months. If you read my post back some time ago about the mom nipping her baby's ears down....he's the one. He always has a problem. I feel so sorry for him...

6. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

It usually will start with a little weeping or mucous. When it turns opaque, it is an advanced case. I've had it like that in a goat only once. The vet put a shot of something right into her eyelid and gave me antibiotic ointment to put in it. LA200 is also labeled for pinkeye. I've found the puffer to help with a light case, but not with advanced pinkeye.
    If possible, keep him out of the sun and wind for several days, as the sun or wind will irritate it and keep it going.
    mary

7. Ken in Maine

Ken in Maine Well-Known Member

Pink eye in goats is not exactly the same as in people. Pink eye in goats can be cause from a number of things i.e. getting poked in the eye with a piece of hay.. getting dust in their eye most any number of ways. It is, however, still contagious! I don't think it can be transfered to people but good hygiene ( washing your hands etc.) is important. The more goats you have the more problems you will run into. Management for 5 goats is a lot easier than management for 50 goats.

8. animal_kingdom

9. Mrs_stuart

Mrs_stuart Well-Known Member

We too have been fighting a round of pink eye for the first time...
    our vet gave us a tiny tube of ointment (for $6) that i compared to the lable of my Neosporin...and low and behold, it was the same thing...
    we were to put it in the eye twice a day...one goat cleared right up but one did not...so he said to keep using ointment and give pennicilin (sp?) for 3 days (2 cc once a day in 2 1/2 month old kid is what he recommend).
    the eye looks better but we have to give one last shot today...hoping this will do the trick. Good luck with your!

Belinda